Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

Ok here is a finished version:

100-all-07.jpg

100-all-08.jpg

100-all-13.jpg

100-all-14.jpg

100-all-15.jpg

100-all-16.jpg

100-all-18.jpg

100-all-27.jpg

100-all-28.jpg

100-all-26.jpg

100-all-23.jpg

100-all-24.jpg

100-all-25.jpg

100-all-30.jpg

100-all-31.jpg

Video:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8hWqYq5Z6s[/ame]

That looks great Santa Monica. Are you going to have larger models available too? I have a 150 gallon tank. Also how much are you going to be selling them for? Thanks.

Just this size for now. Is very powerful, and can be the only filter up to a medium bio load 100 gal. Or can be supplementary for a 180. It can also be reduced in power, by removing bulbs (but not flow).

For the scrubber box alone, I'm asking $289 plus shipping, plus tax if shipped to California. Has a one year warranty on cracks/leaks.

For the complete scrubber, but without the lights, I'm asking $489 plus shipping, plus tax if shipped to California. Has a one year warranty on cracks/leaks, and the lights have their own one year warranty from the manufacter (Current).

For the complete scrubber as shown in the pics (everything except tubing), I'm asking $649 plus shipping, plus tax if shipped to California. Has a one year warranty on cracks/leaks, and the lights have their own one year warranty from the manufacter (Current).

Last edited:
I'd have to check. Canada is over $40. And if it includes lights, the lights are shipped in their original boxes; so there would be 3 boxes.

Ok I guess I am gonna try try this out. I will have to start collecting materials and get another 10 gallon tank. I have never done a sump and overflow box before but what the heck. Just a little at a time maybe the wife wont notice. So I can just do a basic sump no baffles needed and have the algae scrubber in it? Maybe I will put a little live rock in there also just for kicks. Oh the reason why a 10 gallon I have a corner pent tank and there is very little room in the stand. The 10 gallon is gonna be a squeeze.

Geez, that looks interesting. Could you do this? I'm a newb, so forgive me if I sound like an idiot. I'll use my sump design as an example.

From left to right.

1. Skimmer
2. LR
3. return

I've got a 55g sump. Couldn't a person technically, put the algae scrubber on a slant (slightly less than a 45) in the LR section of the sump?
You would attach ine end just under the divider for the skimmer and the LR. The other end would attach to just under the top of the short divider going from the LR to the return.

Here's my thought....Water comes in, goes through skimmer, water raises up over the wall, essentially goes down the ramp (Algae scrubber) and falls in with the live rock... It would probably be considerably louder because it's falling through the scrubber not running down it..but my sump is in another room, so I wouldn't hear it anyway.

I don't think it would be that difficult to silcone a couple of hooks for the algae scrubber onto the side of the glass at the top and bottom...

then completes the process...Or does it have to be vertical to work?

So I stayed up until about 3am yesterday reading all 50 pgs of threads on the Algae scrubbers. So today, I installed one. I took the picturewhen I only had one light on it, but I installed the other one afterward.

Scratched up the mesh with a hole saw. So I think I'm ready to go.

However, I read in a couple of posts where SM said to get some algae from the tank and realy work it into the mesh....I don't have any algae, because I'm still cycling...or at least I can't see it...I can go to the LFS and ask them for some, I'm sure they've got some hanging around somewhere. LOL.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Algae scrubber.jpg
    Algae scrubber.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 175
I bought the exact light specified....You should've saw the lady at home depot. I couldn't find it right off the bat.

So, even with the tank cycling, directions are exactly the same...clean it every 7 days. Thanks.

Im wanting to build one of theses scrubbers but im not a very technicle dude, so any way this is were Ill start, I have a 125gl tank with about 150lbs or more rock in it 2" sand bed. How long and how wide of neddle point material would i need to get, If you could tell me in inches",and how much water flow or what kind of gph return pump would i have to have to get water back to my tank? Im guessing i would be useing a over flow box to get the water to the scrubber? Sorry if these question seem stupid like i said when it come to the technical lingo im a little lost LOL... Thanks for the help SM

Back