Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

Im using 3 piece thick screen

Change to a single layer.

310 GPH flow over it

This is not even enough for a single layer, much less a double layer, and totally not for a triple layer. Change to a single layer, 8 inches wide. 8 X 35 = 280 gph, so your 310 will be good.

65 watt compact fluorescent

If it is 65 real watts and not equivalent, it is way too big. 42 watts CFL bulbs are about as bit as you can go. For more watts, you need multiple bulbs. Now, if the 65 watts is that big square-looking unit, that will be ok.

Grassman, nice first build.

Grassman, nice first build.

Thank you. I still have a few minor bugs to fix, like getting the flow even over the entire screen. Right now there are some dead spots. Have to wait until Sunday when I can steal the dremel from work. Also I have a problem with water spraying at the ends. I think I'll just make a couple acrylic shields so the water doesn't spray on the basement wall most of the night. It's been running 3 days now. No growth, but then there's been no fish in my tank for over 2 1/2 months.

Change to a single layer.

This is not even enough for a single layer, much less a double layer, and totally not for a triple layer. Change to a single layer, 8 inches wide. 8 X 35 = 280 gph, so your 310 will be good.

If it is 65 real watts and not equivalent, it is way too big. 42 watts CFL bulbs are about as bit as you can go. For more watts, you need multiple bulbs. Now, if the 65 watts is that big square-looking unit, that will be ok.

OK DONE! Ive got 8" wide single screen now and much better flow across.

I was under the impression that the more layer of screen the better... At what point does it become beneficial to add more layers? Is there a formula for thickness?

And yes that crazy square fluorescent thing is the 65watt light (true 65 watts) Im testing the new setup with two 26 watt CFL's first then I will compare with a week on the 65 watt light...

Make sure the lights are on 18 hours.

That I didn't know. I may have to do some rewiring because 3 timers for 3 lights all set for the same time doesn't sound all that great. That'll give me another excuse not to clean up my tank mess in the basement for a few more days.

sw3-10-11.jpg

a quick pick of my nano scrubber on my 5.5 gal tank 2x layer screen with a 23 cfl bulb the return is a rio 600 so ruffly around 200 gph over the screen

It's been 2 weeks since my tank has been flowing. I started the tank with a scrubber. After the advice of some seasoned forum members, I bought a new stand. I also bought a 55 gallon trash can to pump the tank water in. I guess you can say I have been cycling for two weeks, minus a couple of hours, to drain tank and move it.

I thought I had a dino out break in my sump but after further research, it seems like bad diatoms. They are all over my sump. I now have brown stuff all over my rocks next to my return and on the sand in the flow path of my powerhead. From what i have read, I'm assuming these diatoms will go away after cycle.

Here's some pictures of what's going on in my tank and sump after 2 weeks:

Sump Alage

week2brownalage.jpg

Alage on rock closest to return

week2brownalagerock.jpg

Alage on sand close up

week2brownalagesand.jpg

Tank Shot

week2tank.jpg

Before I cleaned my screen today (Day 7) I scrolled through the forum to make sure I was doing my cleaning right. Looks like i was supposed to clean it a couple of days ago. When looking at SantaMonica's post on page 73 it says:

"Cleaning Guidelines:

Black/oily growth, but no green: Clean every last bit of it off every three days.

Dark brown growth, but no green: Clean all of it off every 4 days.

Light brown growth, but no green: Clean most of if off every 5 days."

My screen looked like this:

Dirty

week2scrubberscreen.jpg

Half Clean

week2screenclean.jpg

I cleaned both halves, since it was brown stuff, but I left a little on there like the above clean picture. Should I clean once every 5 days until I cycle and start adding critters?

My scrubber seems to be flowing smoother, more evenly, after I built a better drain. I got some line chalk and made sure my hole was really straight. I also dremeled extremely carefully this time. I really took the time to make the hole exactly 1/8". I also made sure no stray PVC strands were left from cutting. My flow is even all the way down the screen. No more bubbles hanging off the PVC from the drain and no more spotty patches like week one.

Last edited:
Is that small screen for a 55 gal?

Damnit, Your right SantaMonica. I have a pump flowing 240-260 I need at least 7". I must have gotten that measurement mixed up with another. My screen is currently 5.5" wide. It looks like I'm able to salvage my current pipe...just have to make it wider. :frustrat:

Well I was referring to the display algae. Many people don't get any display algae at all when they have a scrubber. I though yours may have been too small.

1week.jpg

here is my 5.5 nano scrubber after 6.5 days i started it at 10 houres of light a day for first 4 day and did't see anything so i bumped it up to 14 houres a day and alage started booming on it. it will get its first cleaning tomarow also here is the video of tank/scrubber getting built

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV2DdixEzfM&feature=channel_video_title"]YouTube - Pwn's 5.5 nano mantis tank build[/ame]

its in my bedroom so im trying to keep the light on as short as i can, since its a kind of open setup i dont want it on when im sleeping lol, right now its on a 8am-10pm

Im still having trouble with one aspect of my scrubber. I cannot seem to get a high rate of even flow across my screen and here's why. Im using cross slots in a 3/4" PVC , and it just seems that any amount of flow is too much for the screen to handle, it ends up turning into tiny jets of water that shoot out my slots, Ive even tried drilling them out much larger and spacing only 1/2" apart. Even when I was running only 280GPH across this setup it still was more than it could handle.

The other problem is that the part of the screen thats closest to the water return barley gets flow because all water seems to "build" down toward the farthest part of the PVC that hold my screen. So I end up with the first half of the screen with very little flow as the water shoots past that part of the screen and all the slots I have drilled, while the second half on the screen is like a water gun under pressure making a huge mess splashing and spraying all over...

Only way I can figure to correct his would be jumping up to at least a 1" pvc but more like 1-1/2" pipe and making MUCH larger slot cutouts for water flow... But then my problem is that I have no fittings or tubing that will go near that large to fit my bulk heads and pump?... I hate plumbing... ugh :frustrat:

You don't have to do 1" pipe.

Just make 1 long cut that runs parallel with the pipe. Use a dremel tool. Make it long enough for the piece of canvas to slide into a little bit. Make it about twice the width of the canvas. Test it, if it is still spraying, mark the areas where it's spraying out and make those areas a little wider

You don't have to do 1" pipe.

Just make 1 long cut that runs parallel with the pipe. Use a dremel tool. Make it long enough for the piece of canvas to slide into a little bit. Make it about twice the width of the canvas. Test it, if it is still spraying, mark the areas where it's spraying out and make those areas a little wider

Ok, ao are you suggesting that I do not use the cross cuts, and instead just use a wide main slot? I havent tried this yet only because I thought the cross slots were recommended.

Back