Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

They will work, that's what I used for the first year I used my scrubber. I liked them, I switched to the curly CFL's. I think I like the Floodlights better. But what do I know.

So, finally finished! Sorry the pics are so bad but, I didn't account for the camera metering for the lights. I made the screen 8.5" wide x 14" high. It's using a 295gph pump and 2 18w CFL lights. The pipe is only 1/2" (not 3/4" like SM suggests) but I had it just laying around so I figured I'd try it.
AlgaeScrubber-Bloom-18.jpg

AlgaeScrubber-Bloom-15.jpg

AlgaeScrubber-Bloom-10.jpg

I didn't test for nitrates today but, I'll test them tomorrow.

looks good to me brother. Clean it every 7 days no matter what..It generally takes a few days for the screen to start showing anything so don't panic.

You may want to put two pieces of plastic over your PVC tube to prevent spraying and stop algae from growing at the exit. Before I took my scrubber down I had several spills before I did that. Cleaning 5 gallons of water off the floor is not fun.

You may want to put two pieces of plastic over your PVC tube to prevent spraying and stop algae from growing at the exit. Before I took my scrubber down I had several spills before I did that. Cleaning 5 gallons of water off the floor is not fun.

Sorry, I'm kind of a visual person. I'm not sure what you mean, like putting plexiglass between the lights and screen?

Sorry, I'm kind of a visual person. I'm not sure what you mean, like putting plexiglass between the lights and screen?

I think he is talking about a spray shield where the screen goes into the pipe. Sometimes the algae can get thick and fill in the slit in the pipe causing water to spray out everywhere.

When you can, switch to the curly-Q spiral bulbs. They will work better in the reflectors to spread the light evenly across the scree. The floodlights you used will concentrate too much light in the middle and burn it, and will not give enough light to the edges. When you get the new bulbs, you can decide if you want to go with 18 or 23 watts.

When you can, switch to the curly-Q spiral bulbs. They will work better in the reflectors to spread the light evenly across the scree. The floodlights you used will concentrate too much light in the middle and burn it, and will not give enough light to the edges. When you get the new bulbs, you can decide if you want to go with 18 or 23 watts.

I wish I had known that, I already had 23w curly ones from when I was using chaeto but, I changed to these because they were the style you recommended on the second page of this thread. :frustrat:

What piratefish said. What I actually did was buy a plastic folder from staples and cut it up. Worked well and cost me all of 3 dollars.

What piratefish said. What I actually did was buy a plastic folder from staples and cut it up. Worked well and cost me all of 3 dollars.

I think he is talking about a spray shield where the screen goes into the pipe. Sometimes the algae can get thick and fill in the slit in the pipe causing water to spray out everywhere.

Do either of you have pics of yours so I can see exactly how you did it. I'm going to try and do it with the plastic folder first.

So, day 3 update

It's been 3 days since I started my scrubber, I've changed the bulbs over to 26w curly CFLs and I cut up a document protector to use as a splash shield so that hopefully it wouldn't block any light.

Unfortunately, I didn't test my water before I started the scrubber but my tank was taken over by HA and I'm sure the tests wouldn't have been good. I tested my water today, and both nitrate and phos are 0. There isn't much growth on the screen yet but, the HA in my tank is definitely receding.

Thanks for all the great information regarding the Algae Turf Scrubber. I have a question regarding the size. My tank is 150 gallons. I currently have Chaeto growing in my refugium that I don't plan to remove when I put in the scrubber. I have a screen that is 9.5 X10 that I was considering using but in reading your information you advise 1 square inch per gallon so technically this screen would be to small. In your opinion could I successfully use the smaller screen in combination with the Chaeto? I have not purchased the pump yet and didn't want to waste money on a pump that would be inadequate if I actually need to go with a larger screen. Thanks again for the great information.

Here is what it seems the 25 is going to look like. The pink part on the top is the lid. The open part on the front is where the bulb and ballast go. The bottom is open, and will sit on a 5-pound metal plate. The back side will have the water tubes and drains:

25-sketchup1.jpg

Back