Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

55GalMantisTank.jpg

i saw plans for a nano scrubber on your site and changed them a litte. Im thinking of making a 5.5 nano mantis tank and useing a scrubber because i think it will just work best for this small setup large chamber will be the overflow onto a 2xscreen for the algae to grow on. the smaller part will be a spot mainly for the heater since this will be for a mantis but i will also make it a mini fuge with sand rubble and chaeto since it will be getting light also. the small chamber will overflow into the bigger one where the return pump is. light will be a 23w cfl in a clip on fixture to give it a reflector. let me know if you think this setup will do ok.

santamonica one more quick question i saw on your fourms it says to run the light 18 houres a day, my nano setup would be in my bedroom and because its a faily open setup i dont wana run it when i sleep. is there a shorter time frame i can run it so it still works?

SantaMonica,
Any opinion on using high-end LEDs for the scrubber? I have AI LEDs, which are more than powerful enough for SPS - what about using one of their nano SOLs to light a scrubber?

Santamonica, yeah, that's the reason I initially thought of AI, because I'm happy with their spread. I'm not thinking more about looking into the plant-growing LEDs. Most the saltwater oriented ones are more aimed at growing corals, obviously.
Hard to find still, though.

Looks pretty good. What's the wattage?

One thing... only the middle will be effective; the side are too far from the bulb/reflector. You could reduce the size width of the screen if you want. Better would be two of those bulbs/reflectors.

Last edited:
SM, my display has been looking really great since I started using my scrubber. But, my sump and overflow have been getting overtaken by the hair algae. Is that normal and is it ok? I do pull some of it out about once a week but, I'm worried that the algae has just moved and not getting better.

Back