Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

Good point BJ. But maybe the algae that is there is swiftly taking up the nitrogen which is why I'm not getting a reason. But I think you're probably right, since a lot of the rock I put in was to be seeded with other live rock.

Had to move my cfl reflectors back from the 2" mark, seemed as if that stunted any growth. Back to the 4" distance. I guess letting the ats get established and the green growth will follow.

santamonica - when you have a moment, please review my post above - i could use your expert guidance! or if someone thinks they know exactly what's up, do let me know!

thank you!

santamonica - when you have a moment, please review my post above - i could use your expert guidance! or if someone thinks they know exactly what's up, do let me know!

thank you!

I'm not the expert, but i think your slot should be able to be even the whole length. Also my scrubber started yellowish for a while and over time it turned green. I have two 26watt cfls about 3" from the screen for about 16 hours.

I don't know if you have the option but slanting it upward helps balance the flow. Just do it a little bit and see if it evens out.

Ok, mine's finally growing some algae, but it's mostly just at the top with "fingers" extending down towards the center. Is this how it normally starts growing, or are my lights probably too bright? (thus why it's growing at the top, but not the center yet)

Also, with a brown-green "dino" looking algae, should I clean it off?
Can someone refresh me on the rules/how to clean?

Myn is brown mixed with green as well starting from the middle down. I remember seeing just using your finger tips rub it off, but still leave some attached for it to continually grow. What I don't remember is if you clean one side one week and the other the next, and so on?

I am finally starting to get a little green growth on the lower half of the screen but the upper half is still a brownish/yellowish mess.
me, too. today was the first day (1.5 weeks in) that i started to see green. yesterday it looked like this...

WP_002194.jpg

I started over.

6x7 screen, 2x 13 watt cfl bulbs, maxijet 1200 pump. Hopefully this one is more powerful but I hate playing the waiting game!

Is there anything I can do to help straighten the screen out? One side gets more flow because it's curved while the other looks like it goes half way down and then thru the other side.

I lowered the screen down one hole and zip tied it on the closest side to the pump and it seemed to help. Also clean out the slit when the screen is out, that also helped. Here is my set up. Getting some good nutrient export, and starting to grow some green specs of algae. sorry about the crooked picture.

Attachments

• ats screen.jpg
    ats screen.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 260
  • sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 260
I'm starting to get some ha in the dt. The scrubber (and tank) is new, so not up to speed. Even w the scrubber new should I be getting hair algae in the dt? Or is something possibly not right w my design?

Kind of funny I never had hair algae in the DT until after I set up my scrubber. I wonder if it's got adverse effects if not built properly.

Yeah, LF, I think that has some definite merits! It's mostly growing on the two big live rocks I got that are seeding the other rocks...
Thanks!

could that be why mine has hair algae shortly after the screen got green and red bubble algae growing out of pores in my rock? I'm not over feeding either.

Back