MEGA Sump

mojuave

Reefing newb
I will shortly be in process of creating what I call is a Mega Sump, it will be a sump system for 125g and 75g tanks. I want anything that will create a super stable system. I have been online, in forums and chatting with LFS.

1.) looking into reactors and there seems to be many out there but what do I need or would like to have ie. phosphate, calcium, co2, carbon, ect.....

2.)Want to set a smaller tank to overflow into larger and in smaller tank house plant life, what are good plants to grow to maintain optimal parameters? should I use sand or the mud?

3.) some say yes some say no but should I keep live stock in sump system ie. crabs, snails, certain fish?

4.) I want to create and maintain a natural food source ie. copapods, brine shrimp, or ???, any suggestions?

5.) what is an algae scrubber and its benefits? do I need or want one?

This is by far one of the best most informative forums I seen so I will take any ideas/suggestions and any rebuts

Last edited:
Please check out mrc sumps, they show blue prints on what you are looking for. I dont use any reactors yet, just cheato and mangroves in a deep sand bed. No issues so far. Sumps to me are so nerve racking because of what you listed above. The decisions! I do run cuc in my sump and based it on 40g.

Please check out mrc sumps, they show blue prints on what you are looking for. I dont use any reactors yet, just cheato and mangroves in a deep sand bed. No issues so far. Sumps to me are so nerve racking because of what you listed above. The decisions! I do run cuc in my sump and based it on 40g.

yeah there are decisions and after few hours of research and watching youtube videos any reactor or algae scrubber can be completed fairly cheap. I appreciate the MRC but I'm not looking on spending $600+ on a plastic box with walls, I have a 45 gallon and a 29 gallon tank currently using on both DT's and 55 gallons are all over craigslist for $60 or less and glass from old windows or picture frames to create dividers no different from those expensive sumps I am more looking at equipment and livestock plans.

Right. Look at them so you can get designs on low flow set ups, gph rating, and baffle designs. It is for a footprint for your upcoming plans. They have options and trued fuctions. Nothing worse than starting over once filled and doesnt work

My MEGA sump is just a couple Rubbermaid stock tanks.
50g and 150g
I need to take updated pics but it pretty much looks like this...

7276536910_e41f61686e_c.jpg

7634033126_b70bb5a095_c.jpg

8463455456_d091664d24_c.jpg

Right. Look at them so you can get designs on low flow set ups, gph rating, and baffle designs. It is for a footprint for your upcoming plans. They have options and trued fuctions. Nothing worse than starting over once filled and doesnt work

Oh yeah that yes I have looked at many designs you are right its a one shot for me I don't want to be wrong lol.

My MEGA sump is just a couple Rubbermaid stock tanks.
50g and 150g
I need to take updated pics but it pretty much looks like this...

7276536910_e41f61686e_c.jpg

7634033126_b70bb5a095_c.jpg

8463455456_d091664d24_c.jpg

That is awesome and this is what I will be doing as well except I will be utilizing tanks I already have

I see you are using carbon and GFO reactor as well as mangroves, is carbon and gfo all I need? is mangroves all I need? I was reading on cheato and have even tried it but can't get it to grow

I will be doing an auto top off as well I like the rubermaid tub you are using its measurements for the live rock stage might work better than say a 55 gallon tank

I'll give you a hint for growing plants,

High pressure Sodium Halides are in my experience and others I know, by far the best type of lighting ;)

Back