Metal Halide Lighting

Fredrostar

Reefing newb
I just received my Metal halide lights last night. Everything is great!, However, I notice my tempature jump up from 78 to 90 within an hour. My lights are currently 6" above the tank. I know my other alternative is to hang them. other than that is there anything else that I can do? Is there a time frame on which I should run my metal halides? Thanks for all your help!!!

2X 250 DE MH
4x 65 PC
6 Lunar Lights:sfish:

definitely no glass tops, all my tanks are open top tanks, and my halides only run for 5 to 6 hours a day and on weekends only i don't run them, cause there are cloudy days in ocean too and helps out with algae problems and energy bill.

if you have a top take it off, than you will get more evaporation but the heat will leave last resort get a chiller which is expensive

No lid on currently on the tank. I was trying to avoid getting a chiller. However I will try to use the fan across the tank underneath the lights. thanks and keep the advice coming, I need it!!!!:^:

Raise your lights up to 18 inches above the tank to start. Then you can move them back down depending on how much they heat the water. Buy a hanging kit if you have to. It's dangerous to have them that close (6 inches) because they'll get splashed. A couple cheap fans blowing across the surface will really help out a lot. Don't buy a chiller just yet, they are so expensive.

If you are the DIY type, you can buy the little black chain and some eyelets at lowes and make your own hanging kit for less than 10 bucks. or if you don't like the looks of wal-mart fan, you can get small fans from drs foster and smith that clip on the back of your tank. they are a little more expensive but they look better and use less electricity because they are DC volt. I would try everthing possible before buying a chiller. they are expensive to buy, and expensive to operate. not to mention they blow hot air into the house and make your air conditioner have to work harder in the summer.

If you are the DIY type, you can buy the little black chain and some eyelets at lowes and make your own hanging kit for less than 10 bucks. or if you don't like the looks of wal-mart fan, you can get small fans from drs foster and smith that clip on the back of your tank. they are a little more expensive but they look better and use less electricity because they are DC volt. I would try everthing possible before buying a chiller. they are expensive to buy, and expensive to operate. not to mention they blow hot air into the house and make your air conditioner have to work harder in the summer.

Any chance you know the name of the fans from Dr. Foster & Smith? I think that would be a better idea before trying to hang them or buy a $250-$500 chiller!

when adding fans on top of your tank, make sure you have a good top off reservoir. It's going to be a lot more evap with the fan blowing on the water surface. just a heads up.

Back