metal halides

jack 85

Reefing newb
hello everyone
I am after a bit of advice really on metal halides. i have been running my reef tank on t5 lights for the past year with no problems but am moving house so am changing to a corner tank. so my plans are to switch to metal halides but the corner tank is not open top. its sort of like this . with the square in middle being open and the rest glass 10mm. so was wondering if was to run halides how far to put them away from glass to stop shattering. any help appreciated thanks
o9fV4Tpb1cJXh4ejXJ2ss1UtfHV4OMrVyTpb1cJXh4ejXJ2ss7UtfHV+OMTVsTrbuIVZglpCorGdvKklBFJLiKOWEEctIY5aQhy1hDhqCXHUEuKoJcRRS4ijlhBHLSGOWkIctYQ4aglx1BLiqCXEUUuIo5YQRy0hjlpCHLWEOGoJcdQS4qglxFFLiKOWEEctIY5aQhy1hDhqCXHUEuKoJcRRS4ijlhBHLSGOWkIctYQ4aglx1BLiqCXEUUuIo5YQRy0hjlpCHLWEOGoJcdQS4qglxFFLiKOWEEctIY5aQhy1hDhqCXHUEuKoJcRRS4ijlhBHLSGOWkIctYQ4aglx1BLiqCXEUUuIo5YQRy0hjlpCHLWEOGoJcdQS4qglxFFLiKOWEEctIY5aQhy1hDhqCXHUEuL8B3dlPJWkJ78jAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

hi sorry about that new to all this lol. its a corner tank but not a bow fronted its like two sides and the front is 3 pieces 1 long and two small to give you the corner shape. half pentagon if you know what i mean. i dont know how much heat lights would produce and woudnt want to break it

Can you just remove the top glass? If it were me I wouldn't want it covering my tank anyways. If your afraid Jumpers you could make a mesh screen for it. I believe MHs should be placed about 10"-12" above the tank. Also, think about getting a small clamp on fan so you can blow the heat from the light away from the water.

i dont mind putting it above the tank its that out off the top glass 60% is glass with a foot by foot square hole. maybe removing it would be good idea would i have to brace it somehow or would the silicone joints be strong enough. its 2.5 foot sides with 4 foot point to point on the front and 2.5 foot deep? its hard to describe but cant seem to get photos on here

Do not remove the brace, it is there for a reason. By hanging/mounting your light a good 12 inches above the top of the tank you will be fine (even with the brace in tact). If it is in a canopy, you will want to install fans. Lose the glass topp as well. As long as your MH has a glass lense you will be fine.

finally got pics on. the left pic is one i am on about. its not 1 piece it is 4 seperate pieces. so do you think just removing the back piece would be ok? not really big enough gap for my pipework with the gap thats there and with the heat from lights?

MH need to be farther away that T5's. I would hang it a good 10-12" off the surface of the water and see how that does. Get a hanging kit that lets you easily change the height. Maybe even start higher and then lower over a few weeks to let your corals adjust to the new light. My fixture has a piece of glass right under the bulb so I wouldn't worry about the glass.

Here's a pic of the bottom of my light fixture. The MH bulb is in the center section.
The glass protects the corals and fish from the nasty uv rays.

739928904_6y9CZ-L.jpg

Just saying Jack, what is your tank going to be sitting on?? Because that stand its on in the picture really doesn't look safe!

no lol its on a table while i cleaned it up its got a very sturdy stand. but nice to see people looking out for each other thanks

Hope you dont support Swansea FC!! :p haha
But my whole family moved over, we have always wanted to live in Canada so my parents decided it was a good idea, being 17 at the time i couldnt stay back in england. Sucks.
Moved here about 3 years ago, its great though, love it.

Back