MH bulbs at Homedepot

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Saw MH bulbs at Home depot last night -- 175 watts for approx. $35 and a 400 watt bulb for $65 (I think). Perhaps the DIY people could do something with these.

I think the spectrum on the HD MH bulbs arent the right ones for reef tanks. Probably more yellow than the white/blue that the corals need.

Brian

just look at the Kelvin rating.... thats what determines the color of the light.... 20k is 20k

True but I was trying to get at they probably dont carry the Kelving ratings that we would use in out reefs. They would be more geared towards what the human eye finds pleasing. I guess I could have explained it a bit better.

Brian

if you could simply buy lights at home depot, then aquarium MH bulb companies would either NOT be in business, or would be selling for the same price. ;)

The ballast is good and the bulb is good for your back yard or a parking lot. It's not the right color spectrum for an aquarium tho. Those (HD) bulbs usually run in the 3,000k range.

LOL...I'm glad you guys said something to stop me, cause I was just about to rush to home depot down the street.

Back