Modded seaclone

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
Out of boredom, I spent a good deal of time today playing around with my old, already modded seaclone skimmer...Fooled around with so many different variations I finally came up with this:

This was within 15 mins of running...Cost: 1 plastic bottle

PIC_0067.JPG

PIC_0066.JPG

Collection cup:

PIC_0064.JPG

just had to share the difference.

Seaclone skimmers are crap. Mine is not! :)

Last edited:
I removed the most inner tube of the skimmer and replaced it with a much shorter tube. The tube goes all the way in the very bottom chamber (where the water & bubbles first enter). This gets rid of that stupid vortex action and allows for a ton more bubbles to enter the top. So the bubbles start interacting with each other not only at the very top but through out the body.

The problem with non-modded seaclone is that there is not that much room for the bubbles to really interact. The second they do (at the very top), the collection cup is already on top. I added more room for the bubbles to interact even more by extending chamber the collection cub connects to. This extention really gives the foam a chance to build.

Oh and the powerhead itself is also modded to allow continous flow & bubbles without the venturi effect (or whatever you call it)

Ill try to take some pic by disasbmling it if anyone wants to see pictures. Let me know.

yes the pump was already modded (neither of those two you suggested) just by drilling a hole by the impeller and put the air tube in there instead.

The skimmer was already modded but i mentioned all the mods above. All i did yesterday was just extended the length of the chamber that connects to the collection cup. All other changes were done before.

Thanx Capt - i always thought wet means its pulling more water and less crap from the water. That link is great, you;re right, it more info than my brain can handle :)

As promised, here are some pics of the mod. After weeks of running this way, the extension of the chamber that connects to the collection cup probably should be a little shorter...

Stripped skimmer. Most inner tube completely removed:

PIC_0069.JPG

most inner tube is now much shorter and goes in all the way - THe chamber that connects to the cup is extended using a plastic jar (it was a perfect tight fit)

PIC_0074.JPG
PIC_0074.JPG

Everything together:

PIC_0076.JPG
PIC_0076.JPG

Pump mod:

PIC_0079.JPG
PIC_0079.JPG

In action, no more vortex (sorry if its not clear, i didnt have much room):

PIC_0083.JPG

PIC_0086.JPG

Collection cup after a week or so:

PIC_0081.JPG

The cup fills slower than before the mod but the skimmate is really dense and dark. I also dont have a large bioload so it will probably fill faster if i had more than 4 small fish in a 80 gal

I will make a skimmer out of one of these soon :)

PIC_0088.JPG

Last edited:
Back