monkiboy's tank thread

sweet, just got word my second mp10w pump is on it's way! i lowered my first one just to create some nice undertow and it's been keeping the sand nice and tidy at a lower speed for the gently corals on the sand bed and this guy will be up higher at a higher rate for optimal turn over for any SPS i decide to pick up down the road.

i've finding myself to be more of a LPS kind of guy, though so it'll have to be some really beautiful pieces to go SPS which i haven't seen or been too intrigued by.

anywho lots of goodies coming in the next week!

ok, so my chiller arrived today!

i had it out of the box and setup in less than ten minutes! i had the hoses already plumbed for it as of last week - they go from the sump room (heated room) to the exterior of the sump room which is the billiard room to provide ample ventilation and cool air for it.

it when it first came on, it was not loud (definitely not as loud as the 1/4 coralife aquachill) but noticeable. then after half hour and the internal coil and cooling block got to desired temperature the thing is a WHISPER pretty much SILENT. i was really impressed.

it (1/10hp artica jbj chiller) got my water volume from 82 degrees to 78 within an hour and it's been rock steady at 78.6 +/- .4 degrees for the last five hours. i'm super excited for stable water temps.

another great feature that i like that a lot of other chillers didn't have was the ability to calibrate the chiller. so i have three temps probes in my system and they all read the same within 3/10 of a degree and when i first got the chiller it was reading about 1.1 degrees off, so one is able to calibrate and tell the chiller what temperature you want it to be reading at so that all temp probes are in sync and function harmoniously. this was great and now it keeps perfect temperature synchronization with my other probes and comes on and off exactly when it should so my heater and it can create the most stable environment.

i was all over the place from 78 to 83 on any given day and this guy delivers. i got it from BRS as they have the cheapest price on it anywhere, i had a 5 bucks off coupon, had like 20 bucks in BRS reward dollars, and got something like 9 more bucks off for being a "preferred reefer", and FREE SHIPPING. i love stacking coupons and savings, haha!

20120209_172302.jpg

20120209_172354.jpg

ok, two things.

bob, my clown, hosts and sleeps with my duncans and bubble coral. he spends a good part of the day, nuzzling them and obviously irritating them as i haven't seen the duncans wide open like they normally are in over three weeks. much the same with the bubble coral (who he sleeps with every night) but the duncan gets the worst of it across all it's heads during the day.

what can i do ? if i move the duncans, will he follow?

also, my brain coral is doing much better now that it is away from the elegance and closer to the top of the tank:

20120213_111826.jpg

I would make a little cage to go over the corals that keep Bob away from them until he loses interest, or you can be like me and hit him with a piece of pvc whenever he gets too close to the coral. My method doesnt give great results, but its kinda fun

little fish is too much! i laughed for a good forty seconds, hahaha! i'm gonna see what i can make out of some eggcrate. great idea!

That is one of the biggest pains about clowns. Sometimes they will host in something that doesn't want them there. LOL
When I first started out mine would host in a bug bunch of Zoas. When the zoas started to die, the fish were traded for more coral. Hopefully you find a better solution than I did.

Yup same problem here. They killed my plate. Pissed me off pretty bad. But I've had the suckers a yr so they stayed.

ok, so i built a little jail cell from egg crate for the duncan. it kept bob (the clown) out but for whatever reason the smaller fish all HAD to be in there as much as possible. i think they find it interesting so that was annoying but not harming the duncan in any way.

but after a day or two, i started developing cyano within the eggcrate structure and only in there. as if the 3/4" squares were inhibiting enough flow and not allowing detritus and food, etc to escape somehow. it also lessened the light entry as i had a piece on top as well and all in all the duncan was not happy and looked worse.

i took the jail cell out. moved the duncan to the far side of the aquarium and bob seems to not have located it yet or just did not care to bother it anymore.

bob is now interested in the bubble coral and rubs and nuzzles against it throughout the day. the bubble coral seems to tolerate it well enough and does not retract or really react in any way unlike a few months ago when it would completely close up. for now, this is good.

lastly, i got my new vortech mp10 and installed it.

20120217_133421.jpg

20120217_133408.jpg

i have one low and to the kitchen side of the tank and one high and to the living room side of the tank. i then created the master and slave relationship between them with the wireless RF feature and set the low's local speed max setting independent so that even if the upper (master) pump is full blast, the lower (slave) pump will only go so high as to not disturb the sand bed with their incredible undertow ability.

it was almost within 24 hours i saw really nice improvement in extension of corals as they swept side to side and everyone seems much better with the addition. i really am a big fan of these vortechs, their design, and programming!

so, the elegance hasn't been doing well the last day or two and tonight it looks like this:

20120221_001314.jpg

is this what a dead coral looks like. that slimey white stuff on top that is web like is giving me the heebie jeebies and can't be good. reminds me of my anemone that died two years ago and how it's inside just spilled out. do i need instant removal? is it dead?

20120221_001236.jpg

please help. thanks.

Ew yucky. Deff doesn't look good. Have you tried moving it to a different spot? Maybe it doesn't like where it is? Idk but its deff not a happy camper

yeah, you told me elegance were tough and i thought i made the smart move in getting an aussie but this guy doesn't seem to care where it's from - it's not doing well.

so do i remove at this point and discard or does it still have a chance? it was an expensive piece but i'm not gonna put my tank at risk.

i've moved him yesterday. i thought perhaps he had too much flow so i moved him to where he is now where it is more still and this happened which honestly probably started three days ago.

so out or possible will come back? anything i should try in the meantime? move him to the fuge? less light, more light? any ideas?

There really isnt anything you can do but hope he turns around. I wouldnt mess with him. And it wont be damaging to the tank if he dies in there.

Also im like 90% sure that Australia doesnt even allow these corals to be harvested anymore because so many of them were taken out. I think you still got one from Indonesia that was mislabeled.

There really isnt anything you can do but hope he turns around. I wouldnt mess with him. And it wont be damaging to the tank if he dies in there.

Also im like 90% sure that Australia doesnt even allow these corals to be harvested anymore because so many of them were taken out. I think you still got one from Indonesia that was mislabeled.
ok, thanks little*. so what does a dead coral look like or will the flesh completely dissolve essentially and leave the skeleton exposed? how will i know i can stop hoping?

i think i am going to talk to liveaquaria as they are the ones that sold it to me as an aussie and confirm it is and see if there is anything they can do perhaps.

thank you again for your prompt counsel - i really appreciate the help!

Back