monkiboy's tank thread

Sorry to hear that. Liveaquaria is a great company though. They really seem to try to do right by their customers, which is really rare in this day and age.

Sorry to hear that. Liveaquaria is a great company though. They really seem to try to do right by their customers, which is really rare in this day and age.
thanks for the support and yes i agree companies like liveaquaria are getting rarer to find.

a friend of mine is in NYC this weekend and sent me photos of this awesome looking tank in the hotel he's staying at. it's about 5 feet tall he said and 4 wide. looks pretty incredible!

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

took ella the aussie elegance coral to my LFS to see how she does there and if she has any chance of survival. they keep some pretty tough corals there so hopefully there system provides whatever she is needing, if possible.

dave from nanobox sent me an update. they'll be ready to ship by this weekend!!

two 24-LED 12" lights and a controller for each - this is gonna rock!

lights.JPG

i heard a loud bang and my power just went out. likely a transformer. just my luck when I was just ordering a backup generator.

is it advisable to remove the corals and take them in a bucket to my folks nearby who didn't lose power to maintain flow with a pump? I've been reading and it seems the corals are the worse affected. I would not be able to catch any of the fish.

I'm really nervous to maintain life in the tank. I really couldn't bear to even lose one of my guys.

any and all advice is appreciated.

If the power is going to be out for a few days, then you should move them and the fish

If not, wrap the tank as best you can to keep in heat and stir the tank every now and then.

I hope the power comes back soon!

ok, thank you all for your input.

the power came on three hours later.

it's actually quite warm here (78 degrees now in washington, dc) so i needed the tank to stay chilly not warm.

nonetheless, everything was fine. my skimmer went bezerk as i forgot to unplug it and it overflowed and the crud that was in there got into the water but no biggie as it was not flowing through the system as i disconnected the sump return pump.

the generac 20kW home gas backup is ordered!

found candy, the bi-color psuedo sleeping in the tiniest hole in some live rock today where i had wedged a snail shell. she backs up into it and just lays in the hole like snuggling in for the night, haha.

20120321_004722.jpg

in just the last few weeks the coco has already grown about 3/4" of tube, it's so cool to see this thing grow and interact throughout the day!

20120320_225139.jpg

and the gorg in the last month or two has grown i don't know how many branches. this thing is more extended by the day and grows new branches more full just about every week. it's nutso!!! here's a comparo from a month ago (bottom) to today (top)

20120320_224956.jpg

20120131_235156.jpg

wow, gorg is doing great!

Did you order it online? do you know the name of the gorg? is it photosynthetic?

thanks.... looking to pick one up myself.

wow, gorg is doing great!

Did you order it online? do you know the name of the gorg? is it photosynthetic?

thanks.... looking to pick one up myself.

no, picked it up at my LFS on a trade for some chaeto (the stuff grows like madness in my sump, haha). if i remember correctly it's called purple brush. it's a NPS.just keep it in moderate to heavy flow and well anchored or supported to keep cyano and other 'ish from growing near it and give it some room and lots of yummy food.

i know brittany feed rotifiers really successfully. i do a combo of a lot of things from zooplankton, cyclopeeze, mysis, all kinds of goodness. of course half of it the gorg won't take but the thing sure has grown well and extended and it's so nice that it's now open all day and most of the night. they are typically noctural.

Back