monkiboy's tank thread

All looks wonderful! Very nice gorg. I unfortunatly had to turn mine in at my lfs bc I didn't have enough flow. Tried to add more flow and my nem got pissed so I just took them back. But yours look great!

haven't updated in a while. have a separate frag tank build in another thread on here that has been keeping me busy. also lighting for that frag tank is currently on this 46g tank and working great. here are some coral shots from today.

DSC05079_zps5966e35b.jpg

DSC05078_zps07e943d8.jpg

DSC05077_zpscb7bef3f.jpg

DSC05074_zps02fe688f.jpg

DSC05072_zpse9a81040.jpg

DSC05067_zps51f63a2d.jpg

DSC05066_zpsd546f741.jpg

DSC05065_zpsae011cd5.jpg

DSC05063_zps48b39512.jpg

DSC05025_zpsfca81035.jpg

DSC05007_zps899d4dd8.jpg

i'll be taking a lot of this stuff and fragging it for my first frags for the new frag tank and posting for sale. i'm also fragging a bunch from a local's tank some st. thomas mushrooms, ricordeas, acans, all sorts of bright and vibrant goodies. don't know how much of the zoas i'm really going to do but we will see!

ok, took this tank down because i was tired of my DIY overflow clogging and the leaks and messes.

all livestock was moved to my frag tanks.

emptied all the sand and cleaned the beejeebus out of her. i have a brand new tank it seems!

noticed there was some moisture and salt creep within the walls so i cleaned it all up. used kilz and then two layers of red guard later, i have a waterproof membrane sealer.

20121217_214111_zps797f8245.jpg

next, i'm doing away with the marineland led reef ready units and installed the hanging kit and canopy for my nanoreefbox lights:

20121217_214124_zps8c0e9215.jpg

i cannot tell you how nice a laser level to plumb and level the mounting holes to match up the grabbers on the lighting fixture for the wire from the ceiling within the walls was.

i'll be drilling the tank this time and using a glass-holes.com overflow:

700%20mounted.jpg

it's discrete and slim profile will be great.

the tank will be bare bottom or perhaps just a bit of black hawaiian sand from carib-sea.

i've decided to keep this one simple. it will be home to just a few anemones and a pair of clowns. rockscape will be sufficient for the anemones and that is all. most of the rock will be in the 30g sump in the basement.

i'll get you guys posted soon because my plan is to get this thing up and running sans livestock before the holidays.

Sounds like an awesome plan! I've always wanted to be an all anemone tank but I love corals too much lol maybe someday ;)

yeah, me too! i have a feeling that over time the minimalistic design isn't going to urk me and there will be some LPS in there. i love the movement.

the 180g build will be SPS-millepora and stylos dominant so a good balance between what is upstairs and downstairs and independent systems with individualized care for optimal health/care/growth.

I think this will turn out lovely :) I look forward to seeing this build!
That will be sweet!
thanks for the support guys :mrgreen:

What types of anemones are you thinking? Sounds like it'll be awesome
i was thinking a metallic GBTA, maybe a RBTA and some small "ultra" rock/flower anemones that have caught my eye. a friend of mine has his wholesale license so i might have to ask a couple favors, haha.

here are the ones i'm currently eyeing up:
purpletipgreenbta.jpg

A%20N2003%2059%20Ultra%20Rock%20Nem.jpg

A%20N2023%2074%20Ultra%20Rock%20Nem.jpg

the glass-holes.com kit will arrive today. should have the tank drilled, filled with RO/DI and plumbed and circulating by tonight!

will post photos of progress later!

Very nice! I had 5 of them in my 75. You can find some that have really amazing colors
sweet. any photos you can share? feel free to post 'em here.

did you mix types of anemones like BTA and rock/flower?

i know the rock/flower will get along well with another but didn't know about other types as the BTA tend to move around until they find their sweet spot in the tank.

thanks!

Back