More questions with pictures!

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Thanks for any answers!

1. This morning I was disappointed to learn that two of my corals fell during the night, Elphie and new Krypton zoo. Also, my tank just looks a bit grungy and I started to get frustrated until I realized that there was all kinds of drama going on! All over the front glass there are these tiny white dots that are moving. They aren't crawling like a little snail they stay in one spot for a while then zoom to another and stay there for a while. Should I try to suck these off? Or let them be? I have no idea what they could be.

2. I found a shrimp shell. I've got 2 peppermint shrimps. One hides in a cave but his feelers stick out and I can find him, the other hides somewhere can never find him but he comes out in the evening sometimes. So there is this white ghostly shell lying on the bottom of my tank which is very exciting to all the bristle worms in my tank. Did the shrimp die and get eaten during the night? Do they molt? Heres 2 photos. One, Frank (the name for every bristle worm in my tank) he's reaching out of his hole and trying to grab the shrimp shell. The second, Frank is trying to pull the shell back into the tiny hole. He tried this for about an hour! Sorry the shots are grainy, I had to shoot through the bow of the tank. Oh, and the frag is my new Krypton zoo that fell, I'll move it up but this is the first time I've posted a shot of him.

Frank-and-shrimp-really-lon.jpg

Frank-and-Shrimp-long.jpg

3. After the drama between JoJo and The shroom yesterday, this is the compromise they've worked out. Do you think I should still try to move The Shroom? You can see a bit of damage to the 3rd polyp of JoJo in the back and a little white stripe on the side of The Shroom.
JoJo-and-the-shroom.jpg

4. Loofah is coming out of hiding! Here's his picture, he's behind Elphie (the green 'shroom)
Loofah-and-Elphie.jpg

5. I've got about 8 or 9 random ZuZu polyps that came off and scattered around the tank. Should I try to collect these and stick them to something?
Zuzu-polyp.jpg

Thanks a bunch for your help, this morning has been so much fun watching all the critters in the tank!!!!

Catherine

That is your shrimp's molt. Sometimes it can be hard to tell. It often looks like they've died, but they're just growing.

The little dots on your glass sound like pods. Those are good! They help keep your tank clean, and they also serve as live food for your animals.

I think your mushrooms have settled their issue between themselves :) They seem fine where they are.

The Zuzu polpys won't grow or attach to the substrate, so if I were you, I'd pick up the ones that are on the ground and try to shove them into cracks in the rocks.

I was thinking that the tiny dots looked like pods but I didn't think I would have good enough water conditions to breed them! They are sooooo tiny and all over the place! Thanks for your help, Biff!

Catherine

Pods don't need good water conditions. They are hardy hitch hikers that can survive almost anything.

Thanks, Biff, can't let my head get too big and start thinking I was good at this!:mrgreen: Seriously, thanks for all your input!

Catherine

Holy Cow Cath,

I have NO IDEA how you keep track of all the names in your tank!!!!
:-)

Definately a shrimp molt. You probablly won't see the shrimp for a few days while his new skin hardens. Don't be alarmed, he will reappear soon.

Get yourself some Super Glue Gel for the polyps. You can stick the small pieces on rocks and they usually split and multiply like weeds.

sgg2_l.jpg

I'd say the critters are pods.Probably small shrimps.
Glue those single zoa polyps to a small rock.Once they've grown into 3 or 4 polyps per rock,Take them to your LFS and trade them.

Back