Moving Fish to Quarantine - your help please!

DAvis

Reefer Madness
I have decided to do the right thing after the fact and quarantine my fish to quell the Ich that I saw on my Tang and Golden cleaner goby. They are the the newest residents to the tank (about 5 weeks). All are 'fine' but I understand the disease cycle and will move them all to a 30 gallon set up with 2 hydor sponges filters, a Korolia Nano, 250W heater and low lighting (T12's :shock:) for 8 weeks.

2 false clowns
1 Bangai Card
1 diamond goby
1 cleaner goby
1 striped fang-toothed blennie
1 blue hippo

So.... how to proceed. I will try to catch a few at feeding, but I assume I will have to remove rock to get them all without too much chasing.

Do I put them in the new tank dosed with cupramine, or should I do that slowly after they are introduced?

Water changes - daily? weekly? probably somewhere in between?

Any advice you have before I attempt this undertaking would be very helpful!
I'll try to show some pics too...

I would start the cupramine after you introduce them. Make sure you are monitoring the copper levels daily, it has to be very tightly controlled to kill off the ich.

I would also make test the ammonia, nitrates etc daily. The copper will kill off the cycling bacteria. So i would have water made up ready for the change if you see a rise in the levels. When you do a water change, make sure you add more copper to keep the copper levels correct.

I would also slowly turn up the water temperature to 82 F to speed up the ich lifecycle.

Add a few pieces of PVC piping so they can have something to hid in.

Also, i would try and set up two QT tubs. A plastic bin works just fine. That is a lot of fish to be putting into such a small tank. The stress levels from all the fish being so close together, plus the stress of going through treatment might be more than some of the fish can handle. Separating them out will help with the stress levels.

Thanks little fish. I have 1" and 2" PVC for refuge. I'm not too worried about the fish. They are all quite small, but I will be prepared. The clowns, tang and blennie seem to school! I'm just worried about the diamond goby who loves his sand!

I'm going to measure the tank water level, calculate the real volume, and mark the level. Then changes and dosing will be fairly exact.

I have the tank at 78, same as the DT, but I will slowly raise the temp after I transfer the fish, good idea.

I'll check the parameters daily too.
Thanks again!

TangPolice.jpg

If that tang stays in that cockpit to long he's bound to get the itch. It would stress me out... He might as well be walking around with a big sign that says "Put tangs in tanks that are too small like this cockpit. :nono:

If that tang stays in that cockpit to long he's bound to get the itch. It would stress me out... He might as well be walking around with a big sign that says "Put tangs in tanks that are too small like this cockpit. :nono:

I support this site because I want and appreciate the advice. Not chiding, but real help. I made a mistake by not quarantining anything. The 'tortured' tang had ich 3 weeks ago and is now clean and apparently happy. I understand that the parasite will remain in my tank until I remove all the fish for at least 8 weeks. I'm in the process of rectifying that. I asked for some help in this daunting task to me, so I don't make another mistake.

Little_fish gave me great advice, and I thank him. If you want to hand slap, fine, but accompany that with some real insight!
Thank you.

You also know your tank is too small for that fish, you are upgrading your tank, and we have already talked about this in another thread. You know, you are rectifying the situation, i see no need to bring it up again.

I was only havin fun with the Tang Police, I'm not saying anything more than that. I happen to believe differently than mainstream thinking about fish and tank sizes, and I wont start on that subject either. When you get a small Tang, I dont think its going to outgrow the tank in a week, it tankes years, like 8. I've read reports on fish from biologists who state that a Tang in a small tank is still under less stress than in its own natural habitat, due to food supply and lack of predators, I'm sure there's a whole bunch of different opinions on that.

This site used to be ok to send out a casual ribbing, for fun, I didnt mean to upset anyone.

And I dont discuss what fish I keep. I once disclosed I had a mata tang in my 55, and someone went off on me. Well, for the update on him, I had that fish about 3 months and he got big, and was very healthy, I took him back to the LFS where he was purchased in a day or two, he went to a 120. Well, that guy killed him, so maybe its not all about tank size.

I say keep the tang in the 65, he'll be fine for a long time....I just thought your tank was a 28, due to your signature.

Please accept my sincere apologies if I harmed you, that's not what I intended.

Last edited:
hahahaha, its no problem! I always though this would be more of a girl hobby because of the pretty fish, but has i have come to realize this is a man dominated hobby! I stick out like a sore thumb at our local reefing meetings, im usually the only girl who isnt there as a wife/gf being dragged along.

But, do i really look that manly in my pic? Maybe i need to change it . . .

People used to laugh whenever they saw the Tang Police......

Sea Bee, I knew you were making fun, and so was my comment back about the pictures! Maybe I should have followed with a :D!!

It was the comment that someone else followed with that 'irked' me! Keep poking fun, it's all good! :Cheers:

Back