Moving stock from one tank to another

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I have a 75 gallon and a 40 gallon all set up and has been for a couple years now. I am wanting to shut down the 75 so that I will only have one tank (and a smaller one) to keep up on. Two right now is just more than I'm wanting to work on. One reason that I chose to shut the 75 down instead of the 40 is because I have a pretty decent infestation of green hair algae and nothing I do seems to want to kill it plus the 75 is just a lot more work and I'd rather just keep up the 40. As for the 40, it had a spread of dinoflagellates that I had been battling for a few months now. After scrubbing all the rock and clearing it out a second time probably a month ago, I would leave just the actinics on during the day and not turn on the MH and day after day the dinos would not come back. Today I decided to turn on the MH for a day and they haven't come back yet but I think they will if I turn it on again tomorrow and how I can tell is there's an increase of air bubbles in the tank. I can see them floating on the top of the water and sometimes through the powerheads. This happens every time before an outbreak occurs.

Anyways, that's the status of the two tanks. What I want to do is move all my coral from the 75 and one or two of the fish to the 40 gallon. What I want to know is should I maybe totally redo the 40 gallon since I have read they are very hard to get rid of (I'm fighting a losing battle now) meaning take out any rock I'll be using from the 75 and clean hair algae off of any rock I'm adding to the 40 and what should I do about the dino outbreaks I get in the 40? Vigorous water changes? Lights out period? I basically want the 40 gallon to be ready for the changeover and with different kinds of algae problems with each tank, the 40 being the more severe, need some advice on how to go about it.

Back