Musicman's 40 breeder (1st sw tank!!!)

Ok,should I try placing it somewhere else? Thanks for the super fast response! My confidence is growing in this hobby, but I still have no idea what to expect in cases like this!

Bifferwine, It's like the crystalline threads holding it to the rock are disintegrating. The actual leathery/fleshy parts of the coral look to be fine...

Then it might be what Hannah guessed -- it could be trying to move. It may have too much or too little light or flow. Sometimes the placement of corals is hit or miss.

If you move it and want to try to secure it to a new location so it doesn't get lost, you can use a needle and thread to tie it down to a rock (run the thread through the base of the coral). It may take several weeks to attach, but once it does, just snip the remainder of the thread.

It turns out the the pink leather just hated where it was! Thank you so much for keeping me from freaking out! =) On another note, I got a few more corals and I've added a 2 bulb t5ho to my setup as well. Had the fixture just laying around, so I figured why not? Here are some pics: A green and purple open brain, 2 mushroom frags, hammer coral, torch coral, hollywood stunner chalice, and a zoanthid frag that has green and orange and green and white polyps. The mushroom frags and the chalice were freebies from a friend who was fragging some of her corals. Thanks for looking!!!

Attachments

• Green and Purple Open Brain Coral.jpg
    Green and Purple Open Brain Coral.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Bright Mushroom Corals.jpg
    Bright Mushroom Corals.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Hammer Coral.jpg
    Hammer Coral.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Torch Coral.jpg
    Torch Coral.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Hollywood Stunner Chalice.jpg
    Hollywood Stunner Chalice.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 195
  • Zoanthid Coral.jpg
    Zoanthid Coral.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 202
very pretty!

Make sure that hollywood stunner has lots of room, they have extremely long feeder tentacles and will not hesitate to take out any nearby coral.

I just ordered some frags from mrcoral.com, hurray for their $10 section!!! I was thinking about getting into some harder to keep species, such as nps corals. I'm particularly looking at either a sun coral, chili coral, or both! Does anyone on here have any experience with either of these corals? I'm more than willing to do whatever is needed and can only seem to find some info here or there online. Thanks for looking!!!

be prepared to feed them every other day. I personally wouldnt recommend them, but if you must buy one of them, get the sun coral. The others tend to just fade away.

Ok, I may not end up getting them at all... There are just some shady ledges that look empty!!! Also, I have noticed an explosion in a pod population, but they're all on the front and sides of the tank... along with some other small things that are slowly encrusting over the glass. Is there a good way to clean the glass without killing everything? Thanks!!!

the pods will get off the glass when you clean it. i would get a glass scraper thingie, they make a really good one called the flipper.

Back