My 33 Gallon Build

Hi all,
Things are going well....well except the recent green and red bubble algae starting to show up...

IMG_5313.jpg

That is the new photo from today. All of my fish are hiding of course :)

I have 2 picasso clown, a bluespot jawfish, a purple firefish, 6 line wrasse, pep shrimp, sexy shrimp,emerald crab and various snails.

I also added 2 tiny pieces of SPS that were given to me... and the Ultra Red bubble tip Anemone today. Hopefully the clowns might find it and decide they like it....instead of my powerhead.

Thanks! Honestly, I think the brain has outgrown my tank... during the day it gets almost half that again in size... the problem is my jawfish keeps tunneling under him. That's why even in that pic he is tilted... I fix him...jawfish reworks his tunnels again...."If he wasn't such a cool fish I swear"

That is a sweet looking tank.
I think we all end up with at least one fish we'd kill if we didnt like it so much.:D
My Atlantic Blue Tang is my favorite fish,be at times I'd like to fillet.:shock:

Huge news I think....

I have convinced my wife to allow me to upgrade to a 90 gallon!!

I have an awesome lead on this tank. (no livestock or rock)
attachment.php

It comes with a different tank than shown in the pics.... it will be a 6 month old factory drilled with overflow tank)

For lights.... 2- 250 mh and 4 t5's in the canopy shown.
Stand...as shown
2 Koralia Powerheads (not sure which ones yet)
ASM g3 Skimmer
30 Gallon Sump
Mag 7 return pump

The stand has a few scratches now....but should be easy enough to fix.

I can then transfer all my livestock and some new sand and rock and be ready to go :)

How much more rock would I need (I have about 60-65lbs in my 33 now. (yes I know thats a lot for that tank :P )

I have a 75 gallon tank and it current has about 180 lbs of rock... thats a lot tho :p i have lots of big pieces... you could prob have somewhere around 150-180 and be right on target with the 2 lbs per gallon

wow... what a difference in a few days with no lid.
My corals are loving the extra light.
tank_july1.jpg

Scroll up and check out the difference from the last shot only a few weeks ago... Like the new editions? :)

Nice work on your tank. It was cool to see how you kept playing with your rock to get what you wanted, and it finally paid off because it looks awesome! When I get to that stage with my set up I am thinking about drilling and fitting the rock together as well, but like you I am intimidated by it. How did you go about doing it? Did you pull all the rock out and drill it and fit it together? Or did you take it out piece by piece, fit it together then put it back? Also how did the drill cut through the rock, easily or difficult? Finally did you use any sort of glue?

Thanks between starting the zeo system and removing the lid to allow more light it has been growing like crazy and the colors are getting more vibrant.

For those with small tanks it really is cheap to run the zeo system. Worth checking out for sure.

I am using :
Coral Snow. 1ml/day
ZeoStart. .2/day
Amino. 1 drop/day
Zeofood. 1 drop/twice per week
Zeobak. 1 drop/twice per week
K-Phol. 1ml/ 3 times per week

Calcium 450 - using tropic Marin bio-calcium
Magnesium 1400 - using Seachem Magnesium

Last edited:
Nice work on your tank. It was cool to see how you kept playing with your rock to get what you wanted, and it finally paid off because it looks awesome! When I get to that stage with my set up I am thinking about drilling and fitting the rock together as well, but like you I am intimidated by it. How did you go about doing it? Did you pull all the rock out and drill it and fit it together? Or did you take it out piece by piece, fit it together then put it back? Also how did the drill cut through the rock, easily or difficult? Finally did you use any sort of glue?

Not as hard to do as you think. All you need is a drill , a masonry bit, and 3 feet of 1/4" acrylic rod.

You lay it out the way you like. Then drill a hole in any rocks that are not totally solid. You then cut a small piece of rod and jam it in each hole.

Just make sure the holes on. Each rock line up. Ps- watchout for bristleworks.

Lastly, you will break a rock or two. But totally worth it though.

Back