My Bali rock arrived today!

Zissou

What about my dynamite?
I ordered 20lbs of bali alor live rock from premiumaquatics yesterday morning, and received it today! I know it sounds cliche, but it was nice and fresh and smelled like seawater (it was the cured stuff), and they gave me alot more rock than I was expecting; each piece is very light, and alot lighter than the two fiji rocks I have in there.

On to the pics!
DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

20lbs
DSC_0034.jpg

Couldn't fit it all on the lid.
DSC_0039.jpg

Left
DSC_0047.jpg

Right
DSC_0065.jpg

FTS
DSC_0046.jpg

Some of the pics came out really yellow, but I was so excited I didn't bother with the wb on the camera. It was my first aquascaping, so I hope I did well. Overall, there's roughly 37lbs of rock in this tank (30 gallons); the other 17lbs is two large fiji rocks.

Nevermind the HOB and the clutter, this is only a 'holding' tank til the 75 is here, which will have a sump setup and glasshole overflows.

Thanks for looking, I'm officially addicted! :mrgreen:

Nice rock, beautiful color. Nice aquascaping too!

Oh my dear friend... you have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes. (The addictiveness of the hobby) But it sounds like you have a in depth view of what is going to be needed/done. Good luck and keep up updated with more pics! :D

Also, do you have your test kits yet?

Hitchikers!

I've counted two of these evil things. I'm sure there's more!
DSC_0058.jpg

No idea what this is, but he's slithering all over my glass. I can't get a good angle behind him since he's on the front pane. Any ideas?
DSC_0071.jpg

Is this not the coolest crab you've ever seen?! He's got creme colored racing stripes going down his back, and red eyes! His claw tips are creme colored too, so I hope he's reef safe. Hope he makes it!
DSC_0078.jpg

Blurry view of the racing stripes. He was originally on his back when I saw him, struggling desperately to flip himself over. So I stuck a brush in there and helped him, and he scooted under the nearest rock. :helm2:
DSC_0076.jpg

I have to quit looking at my tank, I have stuff to do today! :mrgreen:

Cool looking rocks. LOTS of colors! :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Nice rock, beautiful color. Nice aquascaping too!

Oh my dear friend... you have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes. (The addictiveness of the hobby) But it sounds like you have a in depth view of what is going to be needed/done. Good luck and keep up updated with more pics! :D

Also, do you have your test kits yet?

Definitely, I've been contemplating what I can sell, so that I can get more equipment. :mrgreen:

I hope to have a scrubber setup soon so I can get head any algae off at the pass. The test kits were reading 0 ammonia and nitrite, and low nitrates before this new batch of rock, so I'm hoping that any die off cures quickly. I also need to get a hold of these anemones too, before they get out of control.

The crab came out to explore just a few moments ago, he has some orange on him too, he's like a little race car!

Last edited:
I'd remove that anemone if you can; I had one and now I have 6. And they're not nice!

That is a cool crab!! Hopefully he's reef safe!

Thanks guys! I don't have any fish yet, but damn if I'm not completely entertained by these little critters already!

I'd remove that anemone if you can; I had one and now I have 6. And they're not nice!

That is a cool crab!! Hopefully he's reef safe!

I found a total of seven so far. The three largest were just under the size of a dime, which I promptly (and hopefully) killed with lime juice. They're an open view so it'll be easy to know if it did the trick or not. They shriveled up and disappeared almost like magic, so I hope they're toast.

The others are harder to get to, and much smaller, about the size of birdshot. I'll take care of them in a few days, don't want to screw my PH with too much lime all at once. When everything stabilizes and checks out in awhile, I'm going to get a crew of peppermints, which will hopefully take care of any I can't see.

Oh, and the crab has a buddy. A tiny, dime sized, yellow and hairy gorrila buddy with black claws. :grumble:
DSC_0091.jpg

Last edited:
That is some great looking rock Kevin.
I hate to be the one to say it,but doubt that either of those crabs are reef safe.If you'll look at the tips of the pinchers,they'll clue you in on the crabs temperment.If the claw tips are pointed and sharp,he's a predator.If the claws are blunt tipped and kinda cupped,its an omnivore.

That is some great looking rock Kevin.
I hate to be the one to say it,but doubt that either of those crabs are reef safe.If you'll look at the tips of the pinchers,they'll clue you in on the crabs temperment.If the claw tips are pointed and sharp,he's a predator.If the claws are blunt tipped and kinda cupped,its an omnivore.

Didnt know about the claw tips, thats good to know. I was just going to say that those crabs are probably going to get huge and eat any fish you put in with them!

You could always do a crab/predator tank though. :death:

Yeah I unfortunately spotted a third crab, who looks just like the second one but only smaller. So that's at least two crabs and 4 anemones to get rid of that I can see, no clue how many of each are actually in there. Hmm.

I appreciate all the comments!

if they are hairy which is looks like kill them! my buddy called them gorilla crabs. they will screw with your sps corals. i had to kill about 5 of them that hitchhicked on my rock.. i wouldnt get rid of the anemones yet. what do they look like?

yeah, the rock looks premium, good choice.

Dont worry about the crabs. If you cant catch them eventually they will get too big and have nowhere to hide.

Yeah I've only see the two hairy crabs once, both are yellow juveniles smaller than a dime for the time being. The larger crab is about the size of a quarter, and has no 'hair' on him, but as Yote says he's probably not reef safe either. Either way, there won't be any fish or corals for awhile yet, so we shall see.

I've also found what I think were three mantis shrimp, all dead, all juveniles. I also turkey basted a living one about the size of pencil eraser, and between siphoning him and pulling the baster out of the tank, he disappeared. I don't know if he dropped onto the floor or somewhere under the stand, I just hope he didn't escape back into the tank.

Oh, and found three more aiptasia. :death:

If you buy any of this rock in the future, buy it with the idea that you'll have aiptasia to kill. I think I've counted over ten now. Fortunately they've all been very small and easy to kill so far. My only worries is that there's no real way of knowing how many are actually in there, but right now I have three rocks to 'clean' still.

Also found quite a few little clams and mussells, and all sorts of tiny filter feeders, that look like miniature feather dusters. No telling if any of them will survive. The clams always clasp their mouths shuts when I walk by, it's kind of funny.

Last edited:
Back