My bio cube 32 is cycled! Yay! Now what?

Cath

Reefing newb
This is my first saltwater aquarium, I did fishless cycling and finally after 3 weeks The ammonia and nitrates dropped to 0 in 24 hours! I have the bio cube skimmer, bio cube sterilizer stock pump and a good heater. Nitrates are up! So I know I need to do water changes to bring them down. My Question is, recommended clean- up crew? How many? I bought an intank media rack and refugium for second chamber...opinions on what to put in there? Also maintenance schedule? What do you clean and how often? Last question at the moment, what fish would you choose? Right now I'm thinking 2 clowns, neon goby and a orchid dottyback
Thanks for you time and expertise ☺️

First thing I would do is go ahead and get the clean up crew, (nass snails, turbo snail, hermits crabs, etc.) then wait a week or so before adding any fish.

With regards to the media chamber, I am a big fan of just filling it with live rock rubble. That way so can get extra natural filtration in your system. If you add any filter pads, bio-ball etc. they will have to be cleaned or changed every month or so.

With regards to the cleaning schedule, I would do a 5-10% water change once a month (a lot of people will recommend every two weeks), but I have had better success with a monthly change. Make sure you keep the tank toped up with fresh water as the tank level drops through evaporation, (salt does not evaporate, use fresh water only).

If you do not have access to RO/DI water I would highly recommend picking up a unit on ebay ($120-140) as you need to be using RO/DI water to help cut down on algae growth.

For media chamber i like using something like marinepure or other filter media.. if you can using a filter sock or even polyfill in the overfill will help keep your water crystal clear.

For stocking sounds promising.. note dotty backs can be punks!

Two clowns are fine. Just dont overload it. When I was running a biocube at work we did 2 clowns and a jawfish. The rest were clean up crew type. Its a neat little tank but they do get dirty fast. Good luck.

Back