Oh No! I have ich! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by little_fish, Dec 29, 2010.

1. little_fish

little_fish Moderator

no, because the point of QT is to kill any parasitic agents, which will survive in the same conditions the bacteria that process the waste can live in.

little_fish, Jul 27, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. little_fish

Sir Alex Dragon the eel (below)

Hmm, I guess your right. That's why I ask annoying questions, to learn.

Sir Alex, Jul 27, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. little_fish

vrod2169

ok here is my update all fish have no ich on their bodies except for the foxface. Everyone swimming and eating as strong as ever. The majestic has been scratching every once in a while so I suspect he still has something. I treated with the kick ich per the instructions and today was the last dosage. I did last last weekend move some rock around and found a ton of juck under it. This was an area where stuff could settle due to little water movement but did create a mess for asbout two days because I tried to siphon junk. Probably messed up because foxface was so much better and the next day he got worse. Since then I added another powerhead to create more surface movement in that area. The question is since all my rock has algae can I try cleaning to help reduce nitrates? I would use the two bucket method describe in one of the threads with salt water. What does averyone think? I would do about a 25% of the rock.

vrod2169, Aug 6, 2011
  4. little_fish

little_fish Moderator

I would remove as much algae as you can by hand, and then keep up with the water changes, reduce feeding when everyone is over the ich, and work on nutrient export.

little_fish, Aug 6, 2011
  5. little_fish

vrod2169

It's not really like algae that you can remove by hand. It's just like a like tiny stubble covered rock. I think it would only come off my scrubbing with a brush.

vrod2169, Aug 6, 2011
  6. little_fish

little_fish Moderator

then do as you were going to

little_fish, Aug 6, 2011
  7. little_fish

vrod2169

If I do that do I risk killing off beneficial bacteria and starting a cycle? Can't afford to do that since I have been fighting off the ich? What do you think? Thanks by the way for the input I truly am grateful!

vrod2169, Aug 6, 2011
  8. little_fish

little_fish Moderator

as long as you dont let rocks dry out, you wont lose a noticeable amount of bacteria. But i would be careful to not stir things up too much and cause a mini cycle. I would maybe do a couple pieces every few days.

little_fish, Aug 6, 2011
    vrod2169 likes this.
  9. little_fish

Mik

A good Ultraviolet filter system works well to control many micro-parasites like Ich.

Mik, Aug 13, 2011
  10. little_fish

little_fish Moderator

It also kills all the good stuff and IMO people end up using it like a crutch when they should instead be keeping their fish stress free. Its not hard to keep your fish stress free.

little_fish, Aug 13, 2011
  11. little_fish

vrod2169

Alright so here is what I'm still facing. My foxface still has ich and is eating great like usual. It appears that in the morning he is covered with ich. By the evening a slime coat seems to come off him in pieces along with the white parasites and he looks much better. I have decided to stop using the kick ich because there is really not much of a change and at $35.00 a bottle every week it starting to not make sense so I stopped the treatment last weekend. Why would he appear better as the day goes on and I turn the lights on? Would anyone suggest I start the skimmer and carbon back on? Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

vrod2169, Aug 20, 2011
  12. little_fish

Vittoriovamp89 Newb Reefer

I read that Ick is a form of Velvet...or vise versus.....i have velvet on one of my clowns this morning, and one of them is dead and being consumed rapidly by my hermits....is the cure for velvet the same as ick?

Vittoriovamp89, Apr 17, 2013
  13. little_fish

little_fish Moderator

They are different pathogens, but the treatment is the same.

little_fish, Apr 17, 2013
  14. little_fish

The Lorax

If it were me and i could catch him, id use a freshwater dip. I love to see the little icks pop off like popcorn. :)

The Lorax, Apr 17, 2013
  15. little_fish

MitchReef reef noobie, since 1986

WOW!!!! I thought VROD actually had ich!!!!!! I was going to suggest you eat a lot of garlic....some nice scampi would be good....and then soak in a hyposalinity solution....say for instance a hot tub.....always made me feel better when I'm feeling ichhy.....

MitchReef, Apr 18, 2013
  16. little_fish

ok i have since monitored this little clown. It looks like a white slime almost on him, but it is only on him. I took him out yesterday and treated him with this ick/velvet "copper" treatment? It seemd to work and he was good, but then this morning he had it again....i hope he lasts till i get out of work to do it again. Anyone think this might be something else?

Vittoriovamp89, Apr 19, 2013
  17. little_fish

little_fish Moderator

Ick and velvet are two different parasites with two different presentations. Ich has many pinhead white spots, look at the first photo posted in this thread. Velvet has much much smaller white dusts, like fine powdered sugar. However, the treatment for both parasites are the same

The white slime you see is probably an increased slime coat due to irritation from the parasite.

But either way, one treatment isn't going to cure anything. You need to pull the fish and treat for at least a month with either hypo or copper. But that doesn't mean your tank is cured of the parasite, it's still in there waiting for your fish to become stressed again.

I highly suggest you actually read the original post, it will address how you should be treating this.

little_fish, Apr 19, 2013
  18. little_fish

Thanks i id read it, my issue is the second tank. I dont have one, ive been using a goldfish bowl to do daily treatments for the clown. I dont want to kill my inverts either so curing the whole tank is going to be tough too.

19. little_fish

little_fish Moderator

Pulling out your clown daily wont cure the parasite and will only make things worse by stressing out the clown. Stress is the #1 killer of fish, because it takes out their immune system and leaves them open for a parasite to come in a taken them out.

If you cant set up a proper QT tank to treat your fish the best thing you can do is keep your fish from being stressed so that hopefully their immune system can deal with the problem. Feed your fish a high quality diet, dont over stock your tank, dont put them in with aggressive fish, dont put them in a tank too small for them and most importantly keep excellent water quality!

Clowns are tough, as long as they are still eating they have a chance of beating this parasite on their own.

little_fish, Apr 19, 2013
  20. little_fish

ok thanks, yes he is eating, I feed him the Mysis, it is only he and the 2 firefins in my tank along with the inverts. I would say i am very far from being overstocked and through the advice here i wont be putting any more fish in until I have more rock in the tank.

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question