My clown experience...

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
Ok so here is a summary of what has been happening to my two clowns…

A while a go, one of my clowns was infected with some kind of parasite (mouth was stuck open, a white stringy stuff was constantly coming out of her and she did not eat anything for over 2 weeks) – Well, that clown died in the quarantine tank. Both clowns were in the QT for the whole duration.

After the clown died, my other clown apparently got infected as well (with the same parasite). But this time it happened in the QT (not the main tank). The second clown didn’t eat for almost 2 weeks either and I was sure he would die too.

But by some miracle, 2 nights ago I noticed him breathing slower, mouth was no longer stuck open and the stringy stuff was very thin and almost clear. Then I gave him some food to see what he would do and he jumped on it like there is no tomorrow. He must have been starving but he ate. I must admit, it was tedious to constantly look over him. I did a 10% water change and gave him a fresh water bath ever other day.

Now he is swimming normally and eating. I was so happy to see this. He is my first patient who actually recovered.

I just wanted to share this with you all as I’m simply overrun with joy and I must thank this forum for providing me with all the knowledge I needed to get my clown thru this.

I will keep the fish in the QT for another 2 weeks just to make sure he is ok and then I will go and buy him and new partner.

I recall Reeffreak mentioning that he has never seen a clown survive this parasite. I want to make sure if what my clown had was the same parasite freak was talking about. Does anyone here know what exactly this parasite is? Is there a name for it? I would like to research this parasite but have no clue where to start. Every search I do, I cant seem to find concrete information on the parasite…Just symptoms, but not what it is or what it’s called. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Woa Biff, I just noticed you have almost 5,000 posts in only a year and some change…You rule!!! This surprised me more than my clown recovering…

Sorry to change topic but I was just amazed when I saw that right now.

Last edited:
Thats good news.
I'm not sure what the name of the disease or parasite is either.Thought it was some kind of parasitic worm or fluke.

nice job. I wish I had any success trying to care for a sick fish. anymore I just take them outside and bash them against the cement in a plastic bag to make the end happen faster for them. I need to take a lesson from you.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

nice job. I wish I had any success trying to care for a sick fish. anymore I just take them outside and bash them against the cement in a plastic bag to make the end happen faster for them. I need to take a lesson from you.

I don’t really know what I did that cured him. I just stayed consistent with the fresh water dips, testing and water change and of course copper. Basically just provided that “extra” attention on a daily basis…

The clown did the rest. It was a close one though. I was almost convinced he was going to die but I can never get myself to voluntarily kill the fish (even when I know they are suffering). I guess I always have that last ounce of hope that they will make it and this time by some miracle it actually worked.

Wish i knew what the heck i was dealing with. This parasite seems to be a mystery unlike Ich.

glad it did. I should really look to get a QT tank.

Are you serious? You really don’t have one? You have such an awesome tank I cant believe you manage without a QT. How do you do that?

I never had a QT years ago when I failed miserably at this hobby. But now I feel helpless without one.

I use my LFS as my QT. when I have a sick fish, I take it there. I also keep all fish I purchase in their copper tanks, alone, to watch them for a week before bringing them home. Guess it is kinda the same thing as a QT but I don't have to pay for the upkeep

I use my LFS as my QT. when I have a sick fish, I take it there. I also keep all fish I purchase in their copper tanks, alone, to watch them for a week before bringing them home. Guess it is kinda the same thing as a QT but I don't have to pay for the upkeep

Heck that's much better than having a QT. Being friends with the LFS and having them take care of the fish for you. All i can say is that your LFS is one in a million...Lucky you :)

The guy at my LFS didnt even put me on their mailing list like i asked, guess they dont want my business...ohh well, im from L.A. and there are like 4 LFSs in the same neighborhood...and a million more in the surrounding area. I should make friends with one of them.

Your find a lot of good LFS like that.When I order fish,they will hold them for a week or two to make sure they eating and disease free.I love going to the fish store where one of there tanks says ''HOLD FOR DOMINICK''.Makes me feel like they care.

Back