My coral is covered in something!

najfri21

Reefing newb
:grumble:
016.jpg

Hi Guys...I am here again asking for big help...I have this coral (I dont know the name)...I have had it since 3 months now and it was very fine since the last 4 days...I got up in the morning 2 days ago and saw part of it covered in this pinkish layer..firsts i thought it was some kind of algae and i took it and removed it from it very gently...it opened up as usual...but during the day it build up again and by next morning it was covered again..and today it is all covered in it...i checked my water ..it reads every thing good...my other tank mates are all a-okay....i really dont know whats wrong with my coral...any help would be appriciated....thankxxxx

Yikes, holy brown jelly disease!

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do. You can try to cut off the infected part (if it's on a rock, maybe a chisel and hammer would work), and then dipping the rest of the healthy part in iodine... But usually brown jelly disease is fatal to the coral. It will spread to your other LPS corals very easily, be careful.

to clarify, DON'T blow off the jelly IN the tank. Be careful to remove the whole coral into a bucket of salt water and to the work in there. I give your coral about 15% chance of survival. It is a terrible infection that is normally fatal. Sorry for the bad news

-Doc

Dip a container into water, hold it very close to the coral, then gently place coral in the container and remove both from tank slowly. Throw away coral. Clean container with bleach and rinse well before reuse. Carefully observe several times a ady for at least a week to see if any other corals became infected. Do not consider keeping any infected corals unless they are very precious and you wish to keep them in a quarantine tank for up to a month or more.

hi guys...thank you so much for the info....i have taken my coral out but i dont think it is going to survive..i can see all the white space in the skeleton...its upsetting...it was my most fav. one...i was wondering if any one knows why it happens like that...my water parameters are still good in same shape...

They are one of the most difficult corals.Brown jelly is usually from trauma of some kind or as a secondary infection.Mishandling by people,clowns hosting and irritating the polyps,water quality.In all honesty,they are very delicate and should only be attempted in a well mature system.(8-12 months).

Your flowerpot (goniopora) coral was infected, and Freak was right, they are an extremely difficult coral to keep alive. There has even been debate in the past as to whether or not gonioporas should even be sold for aquariums, since their survival rate in captivity is so low. They rarely live longer than a few months and no one really knows why.

Several people on this site have had great success keeping gonis, but they really only do well in very mature, established tanks. They are extremely susceptible to brown jelly disease, and it's really common to lose gonis to brown jelly.

Back