My DIY algae scrubber

arkansasboy

Reefer Wannabe
Here is my algae scrubber.

aquarium2012.jpg

aquarium2013.jpg

aquarium2014.jpg

Great job!!!!. Still dont know if I want one of those or just a fuge with cheato. Can anyone inform us any pro's and cons to each.

I am getting water splash so its time to build a splash guard. I cut the pieces earlier but the game is about to start so I will build it during the game.

So I built a splash guard(2 piece) from 1/4" acrylic for the AS and it didnt quite work like I had hoped. After a week the water was still splashing everywhere and it finally ruined both my bulbs so today it was time to try to fix that mess.

The biggest problem was on the right side since the water is being pulled that direction anyway and when it comes off the scrubber screen, which does go into the water, and flows across the sump baffle it creates alot of large bubbles so I cut a new piece of acrylic and added it to the right side splash guard. I made it a little long so it went into the water 2-3 inches thus creating a baffle of sorts which totally took care of any splashing. Now the flow is smooth with no water splashing anywhere.

Also, I went ahead and switched to a different kind of CFL bulb. The new ones are still the curly CFL but they are encased inside of there own reflector glass. They are still 26w but are floods. I also took someones advice and siliconed the lights in the fixtures and repositioned them more accurately to get them 4" off of the screen. Here are some pics of the newer setup.

Attachments

• Algae Scrubber 013.jpg
    Algae Scrubber 013.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 4,453
So I built a splash guard(2 piece) from 1/4" acrylic for the AS and it didnt quite work like I had hoped. After a week the water was still splashing everywhere and it finally ruined both my bulbs so today it was time to try to fix that mess.

The biggest problem was on the right side since the water is being pulled that direction anyway and when it comes off the scrubber screen, which does go into the water, and flows across the sump baffle it creates alot of large bubbles so I cut a new piece of acrylic and added it to the right side splash guard. I made it a little long so it went into the water 2-3 inches thus creating a baffle of sorts which totally took care of any splashing. Now the flow is smooth with no water splashing anywhere.

Also, I went ahead and switched to a different kind of CFL bulb. The new ones are still the curly CFL but they are encased inside of there own reflector glass. They are still 26w but are floods. I also took someones advice and siliconed the lights in the fixtures and repositioned them more accurately to get them 4" off of the screen. Here are some pics of the newer setup.

Attachments

• Algae Scrubber 013.jpg
    Algae Scrubber 013.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 873
  • Algae Scrubber 014.jpg
    Algae Scrubber 014.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,036
  • Algae Scrubber 015.jpg
    Algae Scrubber 015.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,825
  • Algae Scrubber 016.jpg
    Algae Scrubber 016.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 3,797
Thats a pretty good idea! What did you use to glue the acryillc pieces together? Are you getting any green algae growth on your screen yet? I'm just getting the dark nutrient growth.

Thats a pretty good idea! What did you use to glue the acryillc pieces together? Are you getting any green algae growth on your screen yet? I'm just getting the dark nutrient growth.
I used a 2-part epoxy to glue it all up. There may be something else better. I started with the dark brown stuff but several days ago I started getting some green.

Can anyone tell me what would cause the algae to grow in small clumps on the screen? And also, how far into the slit of the PVC do you put the screen? I came home today to my tank close to overflowing because the PVC pipe with the screen was plugging up with algae. I cleaned it immediately, took the screen out of the PVC and re-attached it so it was just below the slit. Before, I had it about 1/2 inch inside the slit.

I push myn all the way up as far as it can go. I have noticed when it gets dirty the water starts spitting on one side, but thanks to the spray guard it doesn't get that messy. Since I didn't add a union fitting to the ats, I either scrub the slit with a toothbrush, or q-tips, then it's good to go.. Hmm

I push myn all the way up as far as it can go. I have noticed when it gets dirty the water starts spitting on one side, but thanks to the spray guard it doesn't get that messy. Since I didn't add a union fitting to the ats, I either scrub the slit with a toothbrush, or q-tips, then it's good to go.. Hmm
Ahhhh, a toothbrush. Thats a good idea. I do have a union but it would be nice to do a little touchup maintenance if needed.

Back