My first, 29g

johno1973

Reefing newb
So here is where I'm at right now. I have the water in the tank and balanced. I will be taking the crushed coral out as soon as I get some sand, which will be in at the end of next week. I have about 35 lbs of foundation rock in and will be adding 10 lbs of live rock when it is delivered tomorrow. So far I am 6 weeks and an undisclosed amount of moneyinto this new hobby, which is quickly becoming an addiction, and very excited about adding the first living organisms tomorrow. Every week when I get paid I look at the aquariun and wonder "what can I add this time?" Yeah, I know they are just bacteria and coraline algae but it is still exciting to me. I love when a plan starts to come together.

Congrats, the crushed coral isnt so bad if you blend a smaller portion of it with your sand, it's natural breakdown will help stabilize any fluctuation and buffer against pH changes. Just make sure its at a 70% or more sand to crushed coral.

just take it slow nothing in this hobby happens fast.

crushed coral will not breakdown in ojur tanks unless the Ph is under 7.5 and at that Ph everything in the tank will more than likely be dead

WHAT,NO PICTURES :shock:
:mrgreen:
Funny how excited you can get over a glass box full of water and salt aint it? :D

Thank you Daugherty, I have this article I'd like for you and others to read regarding the CC. Maybe it will straighten things up for me anyways.

I was planning on keeping some of the crushed coral mixed with the sand just because I like the look of it. As for pics, I will get some after I add the rock in the morning and try to keep a pictoral log of my progress. Also, when the time comes, I would like some advice on which corals to get that will coexist peacefully in this small of a tank. I've said it before and I'll say it again. You guys are awesome.

Put 10lbs of live rock in the tank this morning. The sand won't be in until the 9th. At least the rock will have a two week head start on curing. I will then have to rearrange the rock when the sand comes in and I take most of the cc out. I'll post some pics then if I don't get it done before.

Theres no need to pull your rock out to put the sand in.You really want the rock to be sitting on the glass any how.That way the flow dont cause the sand to shift around and cause a rock slide.

I think you should look for stronger lights, especially if you want to keep a clam. Those lights are compact fluorescents, which are on the low-end of light quality and power. Notice in the picture they are over a freshwater tank? If you want to have a reef, you should look for a set of T5s instead, which put out way more light than the lights you linked to.

And skip on the power strip. They are notoriously shoddy. They lose time, they don't work, lights turn off and come on when they're not supposed to, etc. Instead, just get a $7 timer from the hardware store. Those Coralife timers are crap. Tons of people have had problems with them.

So far I haven't been able to find any t5s that are the right size. My tank is 24" wide. Any suggestions? I have looked on maybe a dozen sites and the only lights I have found don't have enough wattage. I have picked up on here that I need at least 4 watts per gallon for corals and more for clams (if I get one). that makes it at least 120 watts. If anybody has someone they think might have one please fill me in.

Actually, I believe that a 29 gallon tank is 30 inches in width. It is very dificult to find a light fixture that is 30 inches. I know I have a 29 gallon tank. If you are handy, you can build a DIY fixture inside of a canopy.

If not, you will be fine with a 24 inch fixture that has 4 or 6 t5's with individual reflectors. The watts per gallon rule is becoming more and more outdated because of the efficiency of the newer lights. Also, alot of fixtures have a hanging kit that you can buy seperatley and use those to hand the light over your tank.

Or you can go with a 36 inch fixture and have the light over hang a little bit on the sides. The mounting legs on many fixtures will slide along the fixture and allow you to adjust their span.

Personally, I am a big fan of Metal Hallides. One 150W MH(metal hallide) will be good enough to keep anything you want. You can find them in clip on mount fixtures as well as hanging pendants. Also, I have one of the coral life power centers (the dual one) and I couldn't be happier. Let's me control things exactly how I like and hasn't been off even 1 minute thus far ( I've had it for 2 months).

i currently have a 29 gallon saltwater tank that will be transforming into a reef tank very soon. i have the compact fluorescent light that you previously linked, the coral life one, and am in store for a new t5 lighting system. i found this 30 in t5 and thought i would share it with you. im a newbie aswell, and dont know much about anything especially lighting, so could one of the experts tell me if this would get the job done?

30" Sundial T5 High Output Lighting 4X24 WATT

here is another one, but i dont think its as powerful. probably wont get the reef job done im assuming.

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/302x24watthot5novaextremesaltwaterbycurrentusa.aspx

Last edited:
You want atleast four 24 watt t5 bulbs over your 29 gallon tank. If they have individual reflectors, that is excelent. I run 4 t5s on my 29 gallon tank and have no problems keeping corals.

Coralife makes a T5 strip for 24 inches across, my bowfront is 29g and is 24 across im running 3 - 2 bulb strips over it. 2 works fine i just happened upon the third one.

Thanks for the input guys. Yote, how much do you know about the product? The 20" won't be powerful enough and the 36" is too long. Will the legs slide as mentioned above to fit my width? Suppose I could call Foster and Smith and find out. Now to convince my wife that a $300 light strip is really worth it. LOL

Back