My first (55) reef tank

Well, if it doesn't move around, ill keep it, I think it found a spot that we both like...my clowns pay no attn to it cause its too low in the tank, they like being at the top.

You got an awesome tank Smitty.
And thats a healthy looking condy.But just a bit of advice,DONT CHANGE THE FLOW AROUND.Thats what I did that caused my BTA to go for a stroll and kill a bunch of SPS.

Yeah Yote, I think I remember you saying that a while ago, so since he likes that spot so much, and he's in the open so that I can see him, ill leave him there and be sure to not change anything around. I'm pretty much done decorating and am satisfied with it. Thanks for the advice.

Its an anemone it WILL move at some point. I had a condy in my 180 it stayed in the same spot for over a year, I feed it all the time to try to keep it there, one day I looked in my tank and it had moved. Luckily it went towards my mushrooms and colt and didn't head up to my SPS.

I also have a rose bulb in there and its been in the same spot for over 2 years. I just keep my fingers crossed.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you to. :)

My wife took me to the lfs to get me out the house...since the Dr. don't want me driving, while there I picked me up a nice Trumpet coral frag...I fed all 3 heads some mysis since it's tenticles were still out.
IMG00024.jpg

IMG00023.jpg

I also removed a handful of caulerpa algae out my fuge...it was mostly faded and clear...I read that when this happens, it releases nitrates back into the tank, which is probably why I can't get my nitrates below 20ppm.
IMG00026.jpg

IMG00025.jpg

If your picture is accurate, those trumpets are a great color! The neon green and blue ones are some of my favorites.
This camera on the phone doesn't do the color any justice...they are a bright radioactive neon green, like the ninja turtles...lol... the lfs had some plain ones, but hey were just blah, and I'll love to get my hands on some blue ones:D.

Oh man, I had two baby blue ones a few years ago in my 240. I paid out the wazoo for them, and they were so tiny, but they were BLUE BLUE and amazing looking. I epoxied the frag in place, and one of my fish ended up knocking it off the rocks at some point, and I wasn't able to find it in my big tank :(

Just a lil update...I just purchased a new T5 HO system from aquatraders about 5mins ago. I got the 4 bulb individual reflectors system for 109.00. I was thinking about other systems, but figured that this one should be sufficient for my 55gal. If my corals are doing good with my pc's, I know they'll do great with the t5's...My mother is gonna buy my pc's for $100 for her marine tank I set up for her, so actually I'm only paying for shipping...so what do you guys think?

Well Ted, you are one of the main reasons why I'm getting one, because you stand behind your purchase, despite the hype.

Thats a good looking Trumpet Smitty.And you didnt buy that frag,you STOLE it :DThose go for about 15 bucks a head around here.
You'll love those T-5s to.But be sure to acclimate your tank to em.You have to acclimate to T-5s just like you do halides.

The easiest way is to buy a few sheets of light diffusing screen at the hardware store, enough to fit across the top of the tank. Every week or two, remove one of the sheets so that the corals can gradually adjust to the new lights.

I'd start em out burning for about 8 hours a day for the first week.Then add 15 minutes a day every day after that untill your back to 12 hours or so.
But when you start adding the time,have em on like 15 minutes earlier one morning,then the next day add 15 longer.
Thats how I did mines anyway,so there is probably an easier way.:D

Well Ted, you are one of the main reasons why I'm getting one, because you stand behind your purchase, despite the hype.
Oh the pressure. I sure hope every thing works out ok keep me posted. I should contact them see if I can get a discount lol. Just for your information my lights are still working great.

Back