My First Aquarium and DIY Skimmer

Looks good, but make sure the center of the stand is well supported to hold that tank. Most stands need to fit the tank to properly support the tank.

Yes, I rebuild the inside of the dresser to beef up the support. The only parts that were removed was the front piece that held the shelving. I will watch it over the next weeks to make sure there is no bowing or anything.

Last night before going to bed I performed a test on the water. This was the first test after relocating the tank onto the new stand.
All readings were normal except I notice a large DECREASE in the nitrite. I did not add any water tot he system during the change. Is this the result of the move or is my nitrite maybe falling for real? If it stays low and the nitrates stay at near 0, is it safe to say the cycle is over?

I took a reading last night and the Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates are all at ZERO!:bounce:
The Ammonia and Nitrates have been at zero for about 4 days now. With the Nitrites at zero or near zero for 2 days now, the cycle is finally over. Man, that was a fast month and half! One thing I found interesting was that my Nitrates didn't spike fully, never getting above 20ppm. Maybe this is a good thing, eh?

My pH is a little low, in the 8.0 neighborhood. I'm using distilled water instead of RO/DI water so maybe that's causing it. I'll start working on that next:grumble:

Next step: get a single emerald crab and maybe a small starfish to start cleaning the tank. Also, I need to get some green stuff in the refugium I build last weekend. Anyone have some suggestions on plants or green stuff to put in it?

Ive read all over that you want chaeto algae. I myself will be getting this when i get my sump up and running. there was another kind but i cannot recall what it is at the moment.

I would get some snails and a brittle or serpent star to start off your CUC. I personally dont like crabs. Dont get a sand shifting star, they strip your sand bed of the good stuff and then starve to death.

Also a pH of 8 is perfect, dont mess with it.

Ive read all over that you want chaeto algae. I myself will be getting this when i get my sump up and running. there was another kind but i cannot recall what it is at the moment.
Yeah, I was looking at that stuff. I may pick some up on the way home tonight from the fish store, if they sell it.

I would get some snails and a brittle or serpent star to start off your CUC. I personally dont like crabs. Dont get a sand shifting star, they strip your sand bed of the good stuff and then starve to death.

Also a pH of 8 is perfect, dont mess with it.

Thanks on the pH. I'll let it be and keep a eye on it.
Hmm, will snails crawl out of the aquarium? :scratchch

I need some help. I must be missing a key element of the proper process.

Last night, I went to the local fish store, called "The Fish Tank". There, I met with the store attendant and we talked about fish, corals and just about every little thing. It was enjoyable. I came him the details of what I have done with my tank from the very beginning, which I repeat for your information shortly. After about 1 hour of talking, I decided to purchase a Green Emerald Crab, three small snails, and 1 Clown Fish. The reasoning behind buying the fish was that my tank is pretty clean right now. The water is clear and there isn't much algae. So I purchased 1 fish to start things out with. Well, I then drove straight home.

Upon arriving home, my 3-year old son and all his friends were waiting and totally fell in love with what they all called "Nemo fish". I would have paid $1000 more dollars for that fish just to see the amazment and wonder on all those kids faces, especially my sons. My son tells me he loves his fish and he named it Jonah, after Jonah from the bible, one of his favorite stories.

So, next, I get a 18 gallon container and set a 1 gallon container inside it. I gentle pout the fish, the crab, and the 3 snails into the 1 gallon container. The water level in the 1 gallon is almost full at this point. All the creatures came from the same aquarium at the LFS. I then performed a water check and recorded the measurements.

I then used a airline to drip water from the sump into the 1 gallon. I let this run for about 1 hour, letting the water pour out into the 18 gallon container. After about a gallon of water was cycled through the 1 gallon container, I used a net to add them to the aquarium 1 by 1.

The Clown Fish started swimming around the tank and settled on the right side of the tank, about half way down. He seemed to like the blower I had in over there. He would swim into the current and back out over and over.

The Emerald Crab quickly got his footing and ran straight for the nearest hole in the live rock to hide in. The snails moved a little and then stayed still for a while. Everything looked great and the fish was swimming around nicley.

This went on for about 4 hours when I noticed the snails hadn't moved at all. The clown fish was in the bottom of the far right side of the tank wiggling into the sand it seemed, but still swimming. The crab remained hidden. I looked up online how Clown Fish sleep and it appeared to match the behavior.

I then went to bed.

When I woke this morning, the clown was no where to be found. I search and searched and found him behind a rock in the back of the tank, motionless. I turned on the lights and waited. Nothing happened. I was certain he was dead. I gently moved the rock and confirmed that he was dead. I then removed the rock where the crab was and he was also dead. The snails have not moved all night so I believe they are dead as well.

I have never been disappointed in the way I was right then. I wish I hadn't shown the fish to my son yet. He already named him and everything. Moments later, my son gets out of bed and runs to see his fish. Of course I had him in a zip-lock bag ready to take back to the fish store. I told him that they were going to see the fish man and would be back this soon.

So here I am, looking for answers. I thought I did everything right. This is the information on my tank at the time of adding the creatures:

• pH = 8.0
  • Ammonia = 0ppm
  • Nitrite = 0ppm
  • Nitrate = 0ppm
  • Salinity / SG = 1.021 to 1.022
  • Lights OFF - just ambient light in the room from the window - no direct sun light though
  • Both water fans were on - this created a steady, but not overwhelmingly strong current in the tank
  • The acclimation water was taken from the sump, which is fed by a overflow from the main tank
I don't know whats wrong. Before getting another fish or crab or anything I need to figure out what I did wrong. One thing I didn't do was check the parameters of the water from the LFS int he bag. Could that have killed the fish if mine were that different?

One last note: I wanted the cheapest clown fish. It had smaller black stripes but the guy at the store said they looked sickly. He did not want to sell me the fish. He gave me the one with the bigger black strips for the same lower price. He looked very healthy at the time. They were in a different tank than the sick ones.

I hope some one reads this and says "Hey, this is your problem" because I will do just about anything right now to get this fish back to my son. Thanks everyone.

OK, so I just read something online that got me thinking. When I first setup the aquarium just over 1 month ago, I used tap water. I treated it with the API treatment that removed chlorine and chloramine. I added per the directions matching drops to gallons of water and so one, probably add a little more each time. That was weeks ago. Since then, I had only added distilled water to the system. I have attached a copy of the water quality report from my water provider. There don't add Chloramine but do add chlorine and I saw there are traces of Fluoride. I am going to get a Chlorine testing kit tonight and test the water.
The fish store said they would give me a exchange for the dead animals. I don't want to throw them back in there with out salving the problem though.

Can stressing them during the transfer kill off all 5 creatures at the same time? Can traces of chlorine or Chloramine kill a fish in less than 12 hour?

Attachments

• 20120525105216043.pdf
    510 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
I think the rapid change in temperature is what did them off, its very important to temperature aclimate. Also did you smell the snails? If they are actually dead, you will known in about half a second.

Also, did you see the fish eat at the store? Did it have clear, bright eyes and seem to behave normally? Also the tanks at most fish stores are plumbed together, so if one tank looks bad, its likely in all of the tanks.

I think the rapid change in temperature is what did them off, its very important to temperature aclimate. Also did you smell the snails? If they are actually dead, you will known in about half a second.

Also, did you see the fish eat at the store? Did it have clear, bright eyes and seem to behave normally? Also the tanks at most fish stores are plumbed together, so if one tank looks bad, its likely in all of the tanks.

I was hoping you would reply:bowdown:
The fish look pretty lively and normal at the fish store. The more I think about it, the more I agree that the tempature or salt level changes were too much. The tempature in my tank was around 80. I turned it down to around 78 for today.

Tonight, with the replacemnts I am going test the LFS water before drip acclimating them for a long time, a couple of hours or more at least. Also, I am going to purchase a cheap smaller fish to test the water BEFORE adding the $30 fish. This may be cruel but I don't want to keep killing the clown or the crab. I will keep the clown and the crab in a smaller tank that will contain their water from the fish store until the figure this out.

The clown fish had black eyes, but they didn't seem clouded or sickly looking. The tanks at the store looked very clear and well kept. The other fish seems fine, it's just two of the other clowns looked a little weak.

lol, I will smell the snails tonight. I took them out and placed them in a cup of water JUST IN CASE:) Thank you very much for the reply.

You should never buy a fish that you havent seen eat in front of you. And to temperature aclimate, just float them in a bag in the tank for a half hour before releasing. The water they are in will cool to room temp while you drip acclimating them, and that sudden change can be very hard on them.

Personally, i wouldnt go back to that the LFS you bought that fish from. Like I said, if one tank is looking bad, the rest probably have something as well. Or wait a few weeks for them to get a new batch of fish in. And dont buy the fish and keep him in another tank until the cheap one seems to be doing well. All the moving around is stressful to them and the you will increase the odds of them dying on you that way. Just go back to the store and get the fish when the time is right.

And remember - dont buy a fish you dont see eating in front of you!!!!!! Any good LFS will feed them if you ask, and if they dont, something is fishy about the whole place.

I'll make sure they eat before getting them.
In acclimating, should I float their bag in the tank straight from the store or should I drip acclimate THEN float them in a bag? Sorry, but I just want to make sure I get it right:frustrat:

Back