my first frag!

ladypheesh

Frank the tank!
So we got this mushroom at our lfs, (only $5) it was attached to a tiny piece of rock which we superglued onto our own rocks. The next morning it was gone, so I counted it as a loss. Well last night while exploring the tank, I found it! It had attached itself to the backside of a rock and we could barely see it without some serious neck contortions. it had grown a lot in just a few weeks. since it was already counted as a loss, I decided to try fragging it. I cut it into 3 pizza like slices, each one has a piece of the cap and stem. (i tried to get mouth but it had shriveled a lot by that point.) each piece is on a bit of rubble rock and then bridal veil rubber banded over that. they are in a small tupperware in a low flow area of the tank with bridal veil over the top of it.

Does anyone have any tips on mushroom frags? How long do you leave them? I read 3-5 weeks but 3 weeks didn't seem like long enough for me.

Oh, and I think our clown is going to host the container, lol, he was obsessed with it as soon as I put it in!

I have all kinds of awol mushrooms in my tank. I just got 2 nice ricordia and one is already missing. That's why I ordered 2,1 always ends up missing:grumble:.

Congrats on doing your first frag. mushrooms are one of the easy ones to do. Let us know how they do.

I have all kinds of awol mushrooms in my tank. I just got 2 nice ricordia and one is already missing. That's why I ordered 2,1 always ends up missing:grumble:.

Yeah, whenever I've rearranged rocks I've usually found some stray shrooms or ricordeas on the backs or undersides of them. I lost two orange ricordeas last night -- I was moving some rocks around and they just decided to detach and float away, the bastards!!

MUSHROOMS.jpg

Well here they are several weeks later!

The largest is the one that I cut the 2 small pieces off of. It has made a full recovery and is quite a bit bigger than when we got it. There is a little one over on the left side that I didn't think was going to make it because I wasn't sure if I got any of the mouth or not but it seems fine. Well thanks for all the tips everyone, it worked out fine!

Thanks! My plan is to leave the largest and smallest ones alone, but once the medium one is completely healed and has had some time to grow, I am going to split it again.

congrats piggy, soon you will have many I am sure. Mine multiplied like crazy and I have them any where from the top to the bottom. What color is it?

Back