My first loss

twps

Reefing newb
I noticed Monday evening that my blue legged hermits have been a little scrappy with each other. I assume this is their nature as they look for new homes, apparently the extra shells in the tank aren't as good as someone else's! I watched as a larger hermit literally ripped a smaller one from his shell, a few seconds later he walked away and the little guy took his
shell back.

I come home last night to the body of one of my hermits motionless on a pile of LR and an empty shell not far away. My first loss, it had to happen sooner or later.

My guess is these guys are fighting each other for shells even though I have numerous vacant shells available. Is there anything I can do, or do I just let nature take it's course?

I also have a black turbo snail that hasn't moved in a couple of days, he appears to be inside his shell. I know snails have a tendency to go dormant for days and I assumed if he died the crabs would be all over him? If he hasn't moved when I get home tonight should I toss it?

Hermits will be hermits!

As for the snail I would pick it up and give it a smell test. You'll be able to tell if it's dead or not.

No sweat here at all. Just wondering if I need to supply more or different shells for these guys really. I was quite amused watching them rip each other out of their shells too funny.

Just try to remember that the little (now departed) hermit crab was just as evil as the larger one. So now you have one less evil creature in your tank.

you could have 6000 shells of all different shapes and sizes and the hermit will probably still want the occupied one. They are mischevious little ******* like that.

Although I like where this is going... To put it back on track, that snail died too. Now the funny thing.

I had bought 10 blue legged hermit crabs. I've seen them actively fighting. I've cleaned out 3 shell-less bodies recently (down to 7) I get home last night and I count 2 empty original shells, and I see a new one moving along the sand, so I have 9 active hermits now. With three bodies removed... How?

The only thing I can figure is that the guy I bought it from left some crabs in the tank also. But I never saw any activity at all. The first 2 weeks after the tank was moved nothing was in there but rock and sand. Do hermits go dormant, or hide in LR/LS?

Crabs molt. You will find things floating in the tank from time to time that resemble a dead hermit but they are actually just molts. No need to worry about them. Hermits and snails will die anyway and I wouldn't put too much effort into worrying about them. Just make sure you keep your parameters stable and your fish and/or coral happy.

My hermits do the same thing. They are all evil little turds. :pooh:

If your crabs and snails are dying left and right - might consider a longer acclimation. Inverts can be EASILY damaged by no acclimating them long enough. I would recommend at least 3hrs for all inverts. 5hrs would be better if you have the time.

Rushing the acclimation won't kill them right away. It can take anywhere from a week to a few months - depending on how bad the animals internal organs were damage from the rapid change in salinity and pH.

Back