My First Marine Tank

+1 Kelz,

Mix your water for atleast 24 hours before adding it to your tank. I remember when i first set my tank up i mixt everything and let it mix for only 4 hours then i dumped it in the tank, reading where way off the next day.

Now i Make my RO/DI water on friday morning untill the night when my 30 gl are filled around 7 or 8 pm, then i add half my salt, Test in a couple hours before bed then i add the remaining salt minus 1 cup. The next marning when i wake up i test and see if i need that last cup of salt. if i do i add it if i dont well then i dont add it lol.

So then the water just sits with the pumps and heater going until sunday when i do my water change.

I plan on getting a bigger 40 to 50 gallon water storage countainer to start mixing my water in and just leave it in there in case of an emergancy.

Did a water change and the 7 chromis are still eating and schooling. I did a round of tests before the water change and parameters look good, with exception of nitrates being around 5. I'll check the water again tonight as I continue to monitor the water quality. I lost another fish yesterday, so now I'm down to 7. I 'm starting to wonder if the highlander fish phenomenon is happening in my tank. When the first fish died, a second one that normally schooled with the others stopped and started hiding in the rocks. 24hrs later, I found him in the overflow screen. The remaining 7 were schooling at breakfast but at lunch 6 were schooling and eating while the 7th would come out every once in a while and then hides again. I'll post an update after I check water quality tonight.

Update: I have some pics from January when I added the snails, crabs and starfish. Readings have been great, and I've been doing regular water changes. I can't remember how to post pics LOL. It's been too long since I've checked in with you guys.

P1140276.jpg

Pics from today!! I haven't added anything in 2 months. I can't to get my birthday present this weekend. It's a quarantine tank!! Then I can get some more fishies!

Let's start with some full tank shots.

P1140278-1.jpg

P1140280.jpg

P1140281.jpg

Now for the creatures. I found one of my hermit crabs has 2 sea feather duster on it!!

P1140291.jpg

Here is a pic of both worm. the second one is to the lower left of the one that should jump out at you. LOL It's a little hard to see.

P1140316.jpg

P1140298.jpg

I found a baby starfish today!! It's about the size of a dime.

P1140292.jpg

Skittles enjoys fish gazing too.

P1140303.jpg

Starfish Feet!

P1140313.jpg

Algae shots now. Is this coraline?

P1140306.jpg

P1140311.jpg

P1140307.jpg

And the fish. 7 blue green chromis. They school together all the time and often hide in the rock. I have to entice them out with food.

P1140304.jpg

Working on acquiring a quarantine tank. Then I will quarantine some live rock that I want in my fuge and hopefully a clownfish, spotted foxface, or coral beauty. I also like PJ cardinals and fire fish. Any of these eat pods? I don't want anything that with compete with a Mandarin for food. And yes, I will cycle the QT before I add things to it.

Got a 20G high on craiglist for $100. Came with a stand, T5 lights, HOB skimmer and filter, koralia power head and a few extras. It will be my QT/frag tank. I know I'll need to update the lights and filter before I start frag-in. I'm a long way from that.

Thank you, and nice pick up! I saw one 20 gal tall on craigslist with halides, hob filter, and heater, for 50$. Was thinking about getting it too set up a Seahorse aquarium. But, I've already got a 55, 10, and a 5. So, I'm still up in the air :p

Back