My first saltwater aquarium. 14g BioCube.

Your tank is very nice! Did you ask to see the scooter eat at your LFS? They can be fussy like Mandarin Dragonettes in that they a lot of times will reject frozen food in favor of eating pods off of the rock. In a small tank they can starve themselves to death. Just wanted to make you aware so that you can take necessary precautions. :)

At the LFS they fed him "chips" and he seemed to go crazy over them. When I put him in my tank he was picking at the sand and the rocks for pods. I just tossed in a frozen Mysis shrimp cube and he was eating them. I have never had a problem with my LFS and their fish and anphibions, both fresh and salt.

NEW GOODIES!!!!

2012-11-06213349.jpg

BioCube UV sterilizer
Hydor Flo Deflector
Rio 800+ water pump

Rio pump is crazy quiet and way better then the Coralife biocube pump. Also better flow by 80 gph.

Keepin the water moving everywhere so its not always the samething.

2012-11-06211834.jpg

Had to get this coral, it was totally waving at me saying hey you over here buy me.

2012-11-06211823.jpg

Those xens are cool. But be ready to give some frags away. They grow like mad, and in a 14 they will get everywhere!

They are easy to clean up tho, a little bit of suction will pull em right off the rock during a water change.

New lighting update.

Fishies are doing great and so is the shrimp. Yesterday I replaced the stock BioCube lighting with a new Ecoxotic Stunner strip. This is the 8000k and 453nm strip. Before and afters posted below, sorry for the poor quality photos, cell phone camera. The difference for the stock and the new is HUGE and I love it. It really brings out the colors in the corals and the clam. I greatly recommend it.

Before
2012-12-28174014_zpsb9c7d73e.jpg

After
2012-12-29015208_zps1daff97a.jpg

Before
2012-12-28174020_zps5fa87f3d.jpg

After
2012-12-29015214_zps73bca02c.jpg

Before
2012-12-28174027_zpsec4b2627.jpg

After
2012-12-29015243_zps210908f0.jpg

tank looks good!

question tho, u said in my build thread (and i see it in the pic above) that u have ur water line way past the max line. have u had and problems with a power outage and it overflowing? that was my concern, and why i didnt fill it past the max line,

thanks!

tank looks good!

question tho, u said in my build thread (and i see it in the pic above) that u have ur water line way past the max line. have u had and problems with a power outage and it overflowing? that was my concern, and why i didnt fill it past the max line,

thanks!

I've never had it over flow on me. I kept the water level about 2 inches from the top to avoid an over flow.

Two hydors and the stock return pump will be too much flow. I had a BC29 and one Koralia 1 and a 296gph return were enough. The other hydor won't go to waste --you can use to mix your make up water.

Two hydors and the stock return pump will be too much flow. I had a BC29 and one Koralia 1 and a 296gph return were enough. The other hydor won't go to waste --you can use to mix your make up water.

I took out both 425s and put in one 240. I use the 425s for mixing.

your tank looks great. as for the clowns, mine doesnt host atm but he's all alone. my roommate's on the other hand host on his fungia plate, and that thing gets almost all large meaty foods that get put in the tank, they will even steal meat from his eel. mean little buggers

Back