My first sw tank.

Variko

Reefing newb
Hey guys! I am in the process of setting up a 120 reef with a minimum 40 gal refugium. So far I've spent hours reading and researching water chemistry, filtration methods and requirements for the animals I want to keep. Its been 2 months and Im pretty much done the planning stage. All I have left to do is upgrade my electric, brace the floor in my crawlspace a bit just to be safer, and build the stand. I have built a 1/2" pvc frame holding 150 lbs of dry rock. I used 3" pvc as legs for the frame, so it kinda looks like an oil rig lol. The platform will be lifted about 7" from the bottom and i will have a 4-5" sand bed. I want to have a pearly/yellowheaded jawfish colony (4-6 fish), and figure this will allow me to have plenty of open area for them, yet still have a reef. I also would like to keep a bubble w/ maroons or ocellaris clowns. Maroons if they behave, ocellaris if they bug the jawfish. I also plan to keep a pair of randall's w/shrimp and a pair of yellow watchman w/ shrimp. Mushrooms, xenia and frogspawn will be the first inverts i try. I plan on adding live rock to my base rock, adding bacteria and scrapings of coralline, and letting the tank go for atleast 6 months before adding fish.

I am 34, I live in Cherry Hill NJ, I am happily married and have a 3 yr old daughter. Ive wanted to do a sw tank for about 15 years, but never had the time, cash or sometimes both lol. The car in the profile pic is my other baby.

First question for you all is 1" or 1 1/2" drains on my 120 in the center top back of the tank. My lfs guy is saying 1" but Im leaning 1 1/2" being the cost is the same for the drilling.

Look forward to meeting you all,

Eddie

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to site!

I cant really answer your piping question, im not great with that stuff, but it looks like you have a good plan! We love to see poeple who take the time to research what they want to do and get it right the first time!

Hi Ed, Another Garden Stater how you doing? Remember no man can serve two masters. How much for the car? :mrgreen:

Thanx marcah. I will be pushing about 600 gph through the sump so 1" should be fine. 900 gph on each is plenty safe if one gets clogged by an anemone or fish.
Toolman, I gave up my 77 Camaro that I loved and owned for 12 years, and waited 7 months to get the darn thing after I ordered it. Ill sell it to ya for 50k so I can get a ZL1 Camaro next January. Other than that, unless my daughter takes it, I will be buried in that car. Well unless this sw tank thing goes bad, and my wife buries me in my 120 gal.

Back