My first tank. 11 months old. 55gal

great looking tank. lots of nice coralline going on there. AND ITS ABOUT TIME I FOUND SOMEONE ELSE FROM SOUTH CAROLINA ON HERE...Lol. Excellent tank

i havent been fishing in so long. i really need to unplug even though im still young. never been fishing in beaufort though, just wateree, murray, and santee.

OK, here are some progressive shots of the tank.

100_0803.jpg

This is the first incarnation. Note the one power head and Sea-Clone skimmer. 30lbs base rock, 20lbs live.

100_0793.jpg

poor shrimp

100_0848.jpg

Second incarnation. 6 months later. New T-5 lights and 30 additional lbs live rock.

100_0860.jpg

100_0863.jpg

Now

100_1097.jpg

Thanks a lot Lucas. Thanks a little bit dustin.
I had some shots I took Sunday at midday when everything was really opened up, but forgot to send them to this computer. Anyway, you can see how drastically the tank changed from my original thoughts. I really want to do a 180 or bigger like this, but not really in the budget right now. Reeffreak and Biff's tanks really make me jealous.

Wow, looks awesome! Hopefully mine will as nice in 9 months! Glad you shared the story, it's stories like yours that helped me a lot from over stocking and/or picking the wrong animals. My big mistake was buying equipment that wasn't up to speed: 2 skimmers, canister filter, weak powerheads.

What kind of filtration do you use?

Thanks for the compliments guys. My filter is an Emperor 350, but after posting with a few people on here, I'm not sure if that's needed or not. I have 80lbs of live rock, an AquaC Remora skimmer that is 1000 times better than the original Sea-Clone, a Turbo Twist UV sterilizer, and around 40lbs live sand. When I do a bigger tank, I really want to go with 1.5-2lbs of rock per gallon. I think the rock made a tremendous difference in the health of the tank, and to me it just looks more natural.
One thing that made the sand extremely natural looking was the addition of the diamond gobie.
100_1133.jpg

I did have to move a few corals to keep them from getting buried, but now instead of having flat sand, it looks really natural. The other thing that I can't say enough about were the B-ionic additives. I have a ton of corraline algae, and I think that really keeps the less desirable algae down.

100_1105.jpg

i think the only thing i see on there that id raise questions about is the UV sterilizer, the UV kills off all the unwateds but in the process kills off all the good things that pass through it like copepods, which is the only thing the drgonette eats and any micro fauna that passes through it. and the reason that i say this is because that is the primary resource of nutrition for the goby, thats why they sift the sand, they are looking for the micro fauna that is in it

Last edited:
I agree with you about the sterilizer. I bought it because of the ick outbreak, but I have seen some dead amphipods passing through it. I've thought about turning it off, but I was thinking that it helps control the diatom. My gobie loves Rod's Reef food, so he eats when the other fish eat, but he does still sift. I don't feed frozen every day, but the gobie will also eat pellets or flake.

My gobie loves Rod's Reef food, so he eats when the other fish eat, but he does still sift. I don't feed frozen every day, but the gobie will also eat pellets or flake.

i remember reading on here that some had a diamond goby that ate mysis like crazy but it was in QT with no sand to sift and even when eating the mysis it still wasted away and starved to death just because it had no micro fauna to eat while in QT

Point taken. I think I will turn the UV off and see how it goes. The mandarin is fat and happy, but I would hate to see him run out of food.
I've been thinking about a bigger tank, and some of the tanks on here make me so jealous. This months cover shot by reeffreak is amazing. What I would like to do is have a 180-250 gal tank that was coral heavy and a school of fish, maybe green chromis. Has anyone run a tank with a school?

Back