My First Tank (60L)

Hey everyone,

I was thinking of getting a Clam that I saw at the LFS today. I know that they have really high light requirements and was wondering if you thing it would do ok in my setup?

there is a link to the light fixture i have on around page 7 of this thread but it has 12 12000k white LEDS and around 8 royal blues. the clam if placed at the bottom would be about 10-11 inches from the lights. I could move it up closer if need be though.

The tank has been real stable for around a month now with no more algae growing besides the Bryopsis. All my rocks are starting to colour up with green and purple macro algae's.

Tank is about 5months old now.

Thoughts...?

Was going to pay for it tomorrow if you all think it will be ok - but wont pick it up until after the house shift and once the tank is stable again.

The clam is maybe 1.5-2" with a really beautiful blue/purple mantle - no idea of the species.

When they are that small they aren't going to make it because they need a lot of phytoplankton. You won't be able to dose enough to keep it going :( try and look for one that is at least 3 inches minimum

Thanks for the advice Hannah - Il double check when I go back in this morning cause they had a couple there.

(also im not the best with inches hahaha)

As i'm not sure on what type they are - is there any type of clam that I should stay away from? (il find out what they are when i'm in today - they were real busy when i was there yesterday)

Most clams are very easy as long as they are big enough, but you should find out what type of clam you bought because some like to be in the sand others like to be on the rocks

So when i went back in the Clam was a bit bigger than I had guessed I measured out 3" before going in and it would be around that. I have put a hold on the clam until after the shift and once the tank has calmed back down.

Speaking of shifting less than 24 hours before it is all go now! Couldn't care less about the rest of the house but when it comes to the tank I am so nervous!!

I have lots of spare water made up etc and i don't think there is much more i can do to prepare...

Wish me luck

So the shift went well, took about 3 hours to load the truck with the whole house, took about an hour to dismantle the tank and about 3 at the other end to put it back together hahaha! My wife wants to buy a house middle of this year but wow one move in a year is enough for me!!

Everything has shifted nicely, I only had one casualty which was one of the Rics, it had its foot joined on half of two rocks and i didn't notice, he got torn in half :( The half with the mouth survived though and is doing well.

One thing that was a huge plus for me was I decided to put a new flower pot in the tank instead of cleaning the one that i took out. In my haste to get the tank back up though I put the wrong size in (its slightly bigger than the old one) and within the day the clowns have started hosting that rather than up behind the powerhead! YUSS!!

The clam has also been added - and as far as I know its doing ok. It reacts to sudden movement and closes which is apparently a good sign. My only question is how far should the mantle extend, I've heard that if it extends to much then its not getting enough light, but how much is too much..? Il post some photos a little bit later for you all to see :-)

the ric that split most likely will survive on both ends. things are hardy and I wouldnt be surprised if it split into 3 new corals. Or even 4! As for the clam, its reacting to different changes in light. Hover your hand over it and it should slightly twicth. as for extension, not sure about that. Mine used to extend maybe 2 inches on each side but since Ive moved and re-stacked the rocks, it extends more but I believe its because its in a higher flow area of the tank. I know its not the lighting as it sits higher than it did before. It also could be due to the fact that it has grown quite a bit since introduced.

Thanks mate, that helps :-)

Couple of pictures as promised - sorry for the glare on the fts :P Also the clam was still acclimating in this picture, I will try get a better one tonight.

tbrewerton-albums-coral-picture2096-image.jpg

163395_507845835902795_1314416545_n.jpg

Heres some better shots (hopefully)

Rics and small frag of Zoas
tbrewerton-albums-update-9-1-12-picture2115-photo-4.jpg

More Zoas and my Bropsis - YAY haha nah i think it is slowly dying off so thats good!
tbrewerton-albums-update-9-1-12-picture2116-photo-5.jpg

The Feather Duster - I have put this at the opposite end of the tank from the clowns cause the female was attacking it every time it opened... This hasn't deterred her - she makes special trips down to make it retract...
tbrewerton-albums-update-9-1-12-picture2114-photo-3.jpg

The Clam at its usual extension
tbrewerton-albums-update-9-1-12-picture2113-photo-2.jpg

And lastly my little frog spawn garden
tbrewerton-albums-update-9-1-12-picture2112-photo-1.jpg

It took over an hour of filming to get this - My clowns hide when i pull out the camera so i had to set up the camera before lights went out and then wait... They still hid then an hour later you can see what I got :-)

I was a little shocked when watching this because I had never seen the female seizure before, only the male...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McHc38b6Mss]Clowns - YouTube[/ame]

That first pic up top looks more like a hairy mushroom to me then a ric ... everything looks good though :Cheers:

They grow out of control, I had to get ris of the rock they were on, in my nano. It was taking over the whole tank.

Back