my fish are dying?

1-1 1/2 inches sounds really small for 8 year old full grown chromis

Is it possible your shark ate them or tried to?

Yeah if they're typical blue chromis you were taken for a ride. I have 3 chromis, I got them very small probably less than a inch or less. I've had them for 6-8 months.. They're all bigger than my clowns now..probably about 3-4" now.

On top of that, I doubt the life expectancy of a chromis is 8 yrs anyway...I could be wrong on that, but I would assume they don't live that long because they're cheap fish...but I could be wrong on that.

Sorry about your loss sharkie...

Just reading through the thread looking for clues in the message...you said you fed them mysis went away came back and they were dead....how did you feed them?

did you put the mysis in a dish to thaw? is it possible that the dish had soap residue in it? or something in it?

is it a new bag of mysis? at some point did you leave the mysis out on accident and it thawed and then refroze?

I'm just grasping for straws trying to help.

On top of that, I doubt the life expectancy of a chromis is 8 yrs anyway...I could be wrong on that, but I would assume they don't live that long because they're cheap fish...but I could be wrong on that.

I've had my two chromises for nearly 10 years now. They were some of the first fish I ever bought. So it's possible for them to be 8 years old. But mine are not 1" to 1 1/2" long! They are WAY huger than that! I don't think that 8 year old chromis would be that small either!

The shark was gone before I got the chromis, she was a very temp thing...

With the mysis i always put it in a bowl that I keep under my tank so no one else uses soap on them and then I let it thaw out in some tank water, then put in my selcon and feed it to the fish :( same thing I've always done...

I guess the chromis had a disease? :( I'm down to my clowns and one damsel and kona now *sadness*

bizarre. If it was a disease or parasite communicated from the chromis, I would have thought you`d see something sooner than 3 months.

Sorry for your losses :(

Must have been some strange disease. I had some Chromis recently that were about 2 1/2 years old and they were only about 3 inches big, so I think growth can vary. I'm sorry for your loss Sharkie. It sucks, I know. :(

*sigh* well this is the latest.. the only living fish I have now are Duke (my male clown) and Kona. I have moved duke to a QT setup and gave him a freshwater dip and he seems to be acting better.... the only thing I can think of is possibly exophiala disease? they had most of the symptoms of that but before researching it I didn't have a clue what it was.

I'm pretty much going to have to start fresh with my tank. I moved my corals to QT, duke to QT, and tried to pull out as much CUC as I could but Kona is going to have to stay in the 75... it would be cruel to move him to the small tanks-plus he wouldn't fit in the QT and I don't want to risk my sisters fish in her tank....

any suggestions on what to do from here? start emptying the tank of water? all new water? scrub the rocks and clean out the sand bed? :( I feel so heartbroken... all my fish without explanation. I went to 3 LFS with water and it all came out fine. :(

If you are comfortable with it, you could do an autopsy perhaps unless you flushed the fish

If it's exophiala ... "Numerous round yellow to white granulomas are present in visceral organs (liver, kidney, spleen) with prominent enlargement of the posterior kidney common. Histologically, branched, irregular width, septated hyphae are present in the lesions."

yea i had flushed the fish before thinking of trying to discect them :( i always joke with my mom that i should since i know how but i don't have the proper tools to do it with

Sorry about your loss Sharkie, I know you were looking for an answer and nobody was really giving you helpful usable advise... cept maybe PRC. I'm sure you already drove yourself insane thinking what you changed and how could it affect you. It must have been some kind of disease or something... So sorry to hear about that it sucks to have to go through that and feel helpless not knowing what the prob is :/

I hope whatever it was you are able to get it under control and don't have anymore losses. Sorry I can't do more than give my condolences :(

Back