My hex tank adventure into the saltwater.

I'm going to a frag swap on Saturday too! Zoas and mushrooms will be just fine with your light. You could go out to lowes and pick up some plumbing epoxy and epoxy the frag plug to you rock work. Make sure you get the water safe kind. What I do is put superglue on the frag plug put the epoxy on the superglue and then some more glue on the other side of the epoxy and just stick it wherever you want. The epoxy hardens and holds it there but its takes a little while to harden so while its hardening the superglue will make it stick. Make sure its the gel superglue. Your rockwork looks great!

Heres my new additions as of last night. Thank you Mike F who lives a stones throw away from me. If I rember correctly I got some purple mushrooms (8 heads), some eagle eye and dragon zoas? Im bad a remembering the names. He also has an awesome candy cane coral that I hope he is willing to frag out.

DSCN5478.jpg

DSCN5475.jpg

DSCN5476.jpg

DSCN5477.jpg

I picked the zoas and mushrooms for $40. Good deal? I think so.
Now off to the frag swap!! Expect more pics today. Moooo ha ha ha ha!

frag swap was pretty awesome. Not as good of prices as I thought there was going to be. I did pick up a couple goodies. A torch which is going bottom center for awhile and a....cant remember. It was over-gowing the frag its on so it looked like it was doing very well and it exploding with color. I almost got a clam but held off. I will put up pics tomorrow. They are looking kind of shy yet so they dont want to be shown off yet.

Looking forward to the pics! I would hold off on the clam. They need wicked bright lights and although I have faith in our marineland light idk if it a handle a clam. I did get a couple light demanding sps frags at my frag swap so we see if they take off!

Here are some pics of my frag swap pick ups. A torch which has not come out fully yet but has green fleshy body with purple and pink tentacles. I hear to keep him away from others. And a favia of some sort. I was told but do not remember.
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Last edited:
Here are some tank shots from each "front" panel of my hex tank. Any suggestions on where to place those Mushrooms. I have researched a lot on them but can not find a difinative answer as to what would be their liking. High or low flow, high or low lighting.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I currently moved it up top and towards the back so i would say it is in low flor with moderate lighting due to it being behind direct lighting. I have seen them in other tanks all over the place so I just dont know. Help?

Last edited:
Very nice additions...I have that same favia (christmas tree favia) also. And you can place those mushrooms anywhere in the tank you want to...they're gonna thrive no matter where they are.

I think I am going to downsize to the 425s in place of the 550 koralias I got. It will give my tank some more room, and I think I have too much flow right now. Still battling the toilet bowl swirl effect along the bottom. I will give it a couple more days yet though.

I have been running just one of my 550s for5 hours and my hammer, torch, and zoas look almost twice as big. Maybe I will do two 260s. It doesnt seem like a lot of flow but I think due to the "roundness" of the hex tank two 425s may be too much. Right now my 550s are on craigslist. NanoReefer I will keep you in the loop.

I did try opposite sides of the tank but the problem there is that my light goes across the center and the powerheads end up blocking light from spreading out to the bottom on both sides so I have to keep them as far back as possible. I tried both on the back criss-crossing in the middle but the combined flow creates a very strong current everywhere in the tank. I dunno. I keep battling with it and I will figure something out. Trial and error.

So a lot has happened in the last three days. I wish I could post some pics of whats been going on my the interwebs is not uplaoding pics for me at this moment (probably my crappy internet connection.) So three days ago I traded my Tomato Clown in towards a pair of adorable false perculas. Snowball and Lily (Cant tell them apart from each other for the life of me). Acclimated them. They were swimming around all holly and jolly for the last two days. Fed them yesterday, went to work, stopped home to check on them, looked happy to see me. Left for some turkey dinner with the rents, got home around 1130, again happy to see me. Went to bed about 1230 am and got up at 530 this morning and I can not find one of those two. NOTHING! Not a trace! The other is swimming around all fine checking me out but I cant find the other. I looked for 30-45 minutes. If by chance one when went belly up would my hermits or emerald crab devour it to the point they nothing would be left behind? I am going to end up pulling my rock out after work today to try and find SOMETHING that proves he/she is a goner. Sad day folks. its just really wierd to me. I looked all over the floor, behind and around the tank. The sump, overflow, everything. Sucks.

Sorry to hear that bro...hopefully he shows up. But yes, your cuc can devour the body and leave no evidence. I wouldn't stress the tank by removing the rocks to find him, because he's dead, then he's already probably gone.

Back