My latest Tank plan: More advice needed

Hornet

Reefing newb
I would appreciate some help on my "current" plan. The things I've seen on Craigslist have not panned out so this is where I am now. I'm open to change anything if it makes more sense. But I'm also trying to save as much as I can. I've basically compiled this list on things I've read on different forums and books. This is going to be a slow process for me as I need to spread the cost out over a few months. I'm trying to do it right the first time around and not have to rebuy items. Also my eventual plan for stock is a couple of clowns, an anemone, a tang (gotta have something to sell the boss on all this $$ i'm spending :D) "It's for the kids :)", maybe 1 or two more fish that will fit. For corals I'm fine with anything, but I don't want to be screwed with my suggested set-up if I want to get into adding some sps.

Tank: 150 Perfecto 48 x 24 x 30 $600
Reef Ready 4 1" holes in corners. Two 1" returns drilled in front bottom corners. Use the original return holes in back corners for closed loop and drop the return from the sump over back wall. I was originally looking to get a 120 but I saw this 150 in the lfs and I like it. So far I'm not really liking the extra rock/sand I will have to buy for 150 so I may drop back down to 120 tank. Should I be concerned about oxygenation on the 150 compared to what I would have with a 48 x 24 x 24 120gal ?

Sump/fuge: DIY
Plan on building my sump as of right now. Maybe go with Rubbermaid set-up or either buy a 40gal breeder and put baffles

Pump 1: Dart $230 For Closed loop returns
Pump 2: Pan World 100PX $170 Return From Sump

Lighting: Outer Orbit Pro Series HQI/T-5/LED Lights / 48" 529W $663
Lighting is my biggest source of confustion
1eek.gif
Wow, options for something else worthwhile if I want to leave myself covered for future addictions
smile.gif
I just can't decided if I would save a bit if I go with the canopy and retro's or Ditch canopy and buy a fixture with everything in one. I also might consider dropping back down to 120 if the 30" tank will increase my cost on lighting over the 24" high tank. I've listed the fixture here cuz I just got so confused trying to figure out a canopy setup :shock:

Stand/Canopy: DIY $100
Just threw $ amount as estimate. Depending on whatever best option is for lighting I may ditch Canopy build.

Skimmer: Octopus. $200 Octopus NW 200 Needle

Heaters: 2 $60

Wavemaker: OM Super Squirt $260
For Closed loop returns

TDS-meter: $25

Refractometer: $45

RO/DI: $160 Mel reef or filter guys

I know I have probably missed some other key items so if you see something please chime in. As far as rock and sand I'm considering going with a Tampa Bay Package. And thanx for reading thru this long post
rollface.gif

Sounds like a good set up. You can save some cash and get your RO/DI from ebay. The one biff and several others have purchased is 65 bucks plus shipping and is always on their. The seller is purewaterclub.

You will get better oxygenation from the 120 but the 150 will give you room for more stuff. If you do your returns right and powerheads if you are to use them. You should be able to get enough disturbance to maintain good oxygen levels.

If you go with a Deep Sand Bed(DSB) the added tank heigth will keep you haveing similar water levels and room as a 120 in the 150 and you would be able to use the same lights. I dont know what lighting you were thinking but I would go with a pair of 250w Metal Halides(MH) with T5 or power compact(PC) actinic supplementation for your viewing pleasure.

For your sump it all really depends on if it will be a remote(basement typically) or in the stand sump. If you are going remote whatever you wish will be fine. If you are going under stand then I would go with the 40 breeder. It would be easier to work around IMO.

Hey reefcentral doesnt support image hot-linking! Hahaha

Last edited:
Thanx for the tip on the ro/di. I added the seller to my ebay fav's so I can find him later.

I guess you saw my post on RC ;). I've been asking questions and reading in a lotta different places.

Nope I didnt but the typical RC crap everywhere you look was a hot tip.

If you posted that on RC be prepared for childish arguements and endless scrutinization of every choice you have made! That place is rediculous sometimes!

that light you have listed sounds good for that tank also, good skimmer, good thinking of getting two heaters instead of one big one

for live rock I would get a mixture to save money, buy live rock from your LFS or www.liveaquaria.com or tampabaysaltwater and then order some dry rock from www.marcorocks.com you will save a ton of money and the marco rocks will become live with time!

Thanx underwaterworld I too was thinking that if I go with tampabaysalt I was going to buy some dry rock locally so I could build me some PVC towers for aquascaping. If I stick with the 150 tank I would probably look at getting a smaller package than my actual tank size and maybe get some sand locally to mix with it to get my Sandbed higher.

I can easily add some more rocks down the line after I get over all my initial costs. And if I go with a TBS package I get some great hitchhhikers to keep me entertained for awhile.

Last edited:
i wouldnt go with tampabayslatwater just because your trying to spread everything out which means your working on a limited budget and to get their "package" would cost you 1775 dollars

also try and stay away from RC, they criticize everything you have if it isnt top of the line best thing on the market, also they only really seem to care about you if your house was built around your 8 billion gallon system

i wouldnt go with tampabayslatwater just because your trying to spread everything out which means your working on a limited budget and to get their "package" would cost you 1775 dollars

I plan on spreading all the equipment out over the next few months while I build the stand and get everything else set-up. If I get the package from tampa I'd probably only look at getting something like a 90 which would be 180 pounds of rock for $1k. I'd probably buy some other dead rock before hand from marco or something so I could get some aquascaping started.

I agree about RC as I've seen quite a few flame festivals on some of the posts I read. But I'm also seeking information from whoever has something to say. Then I cipher out what I feel fits for me or do more reading on my own. I'm honestly not seeing myself to a point where I'm ready to put something live in a tank till the end of the summer. That's not due to my budget but due to me wanting to research what I'm spending on before buying.

Last edited:
just my two cents on the reef ready

i just did a 90gal reef ready and found that the 800gph stated for a 1" predrilled bulkhead hole is about twice the flow you will actually get, its closer to 400-450gph

didnt believe it till i saw it for myself

if i had to do it over i would drill my own holes and make my own overflows

you could probably save a lot of money buying a 150 that is not drilled and drilling it yourself.

just my opinion after having some flow problems with my reef ready (same brand too)

Thanx for your opinion Zoot. That's why I posted cuz I want to see what other ppl have to about my suggested set-up. I'm still kinda tossing drilling my own holes too. I had been leaning towards doing that and as much as I've been changing my mind so much and this is my first attempt and writing it all down in one place. I was already wanting to get away from the towers in the back but somewhere I've changed my mind again. lol, i'll probably change again.

I just logged in from another computer and I see what RyanG was talking about with the RC links above. I did not see it on my other computer. Looks like I don't have access to edit my original post can an admin take those links out for me ?

Last edited:
I think hes talking about the ReefCentral hot-links They were supposed to pics that he had copied from RC.

Hornet you can only edit your posts for half an hour on this site!

What links?

My original post has some links (actually just smiley faces) that point back to RC. I did not realize that I could not just copy some info from a post I had on there. Now those annoying big pics saying I can't link show on my post here.

just my two cents on the reef ready

i just did a 90gal reef ready and found that the 800gph stated for a 1" predrilled bulkhead hole is about twice the flow you will actually get, its closer to 400-450gph
:bounce:Actually probably closer to 350 gph or 400 gph, but 400 gph only if by Holy intervention.:^:

:bounce:Actually probably closer to 350 gph or 400 gph, but 400 gph only if by Holy intervention.:^:

I had a conversation with the guy at the LFS and got side tracked from what I was already figuring. Hence the reason I'm posting my plan so you guys look at what I'm thinking and advise me.

After thinking about it more I'm back to getting a non RR tank and drilling it for a glass holes set up as I stated in my other threads

Thanks for further advice on flow.

After thinking about it more I'm back to getting a non RR tank and drilling it for a glass holes set up as I stated in my other threads
http://glass-holes.com my favotite supplier for back wall over flows, hole saws, bulk heads, Loc-line fittings and Pumps. Great custom acrylic work. And they treat you more like a friend than a customer. They make my inlet boxes for closed loop circulation systems and are presently making me a custom Kalwasser/ATO box for a 120 gallon tank system. Yeah, no more bucket in my living room.

Back