My New Endeavor!

Great stuff! I really enjoyed the alk article and will be enjoying following your build thread as well (I should start my first SW tank this weak as well :mrgreen:). Best of luck but I don't think you will need it as you are well prepared! :mrgreen:

Thanks Guys!
I'm glad there is interest in my tank! =D

On another note:
I placed an order through my buddy at the pet store for a couple brittle stars...
And when he got them in THEY WERE HUGE!
I was expecting 2-3in. not 12 in.! XD
100_1219.jpg
He offered to keep one and put in his tank... I think its better that way since I wasn't expecting them to be so BIG! >.<

Ya know I love the netting you have under your tank. I never thought of that. That would be a wonderful addition to some tanks.

I would get that lava rock out of your tank as it can leach things you don't want. I would also make some tops from some bird netting/wildlife netting stuff. Eggcrate works but the amount of light it cuts down sucks.

I would also make some tops from some bird netting/wildlife netting stuff. Eggcrate works but the amount of light it cuts down sucks.

I never thought about that. That might be a good idea! :)

It always did concern me about losing lighting in my tank :/

Last edited:
So this guy was tearing down his tank and I got some awesome deals!
Spiderman Zoas for $15 and Insane Live Rock for ~$25 for about 15 lbs worth!

Check out my new Aquascaping on left side of my tank I like it :)
100_1229.jpg

100_1230.jpg

The RocK!:
100_1222.jpg

Shrooms Came with the RocK! :)
100_1223.jpg

The SpiderMan Zoas:
100_1224.jpg

WTF!!! :shock:
100_1233.jpg

Im jealous of your live rock purchase! My LFS has base rock for $2.50 / lb, but I really need some live rock to seed them : (

And wtf is that centipede!?!

You've got a brave bristle worm there in that last pic. I've never seen any of the ones in my tanks before.

haha, I'm sorry guys! If you notice the date on my last post is April 23rd >_<!

I think I might have to try and update all that I have left out over the summer... Maybe tonight, I do have some free time....

And yeah I have a few of those HUGE bristle worms! The really sad thing is, that firefish in that last pic with the Bristle worm has just come up missing in the last 2 weeks =*( and I cannot find any evidence of him ANYWHERE! I am surely convinced that one of those GINORMOUS Bristle worms ate him!!! Since he does like to sleep up in the rocks giving them perfect access to him =(

Well...

Last summer I left for my Annual Training out to California for 2 weeks and while I was gone something happened to my Tank and I had a huge die off that kicked started a massive cycle and my ammonia spiked up over 1ppm
Details here:
https://www.livingreefs.com/we-got-problem-here-t26932.html
When I got home I used some "ammo-lock 2" to bond with the ammonia and added some bacteria supplement. It took about 2 weeks to get my ammonia back down to 0 again.
Funny thing is that all my fish made it as did a handful of corals (my frogspawn, zoas, hairy mushroom) but lost about 1/2 my coral and all my inverts.
The death of the HUGE Brittle star is definitely what caused the huge cycle, but what caused the initial deaths? :dunno:

I scrapped the cheap skimmer and got a used one from a LFS
Built a sump got some Chateo in there growing ^_^

Added another 2 bulb fixture for a total of 6x54w T-5's
Then bought all new bulbs:
3x ATI Blue Plus
1x ATI Aquablue Special 12k
1x ATI Purple Plus
1x UVL Super Actinic

Between the Chateo and replacing my bulbs this fixed my Cyano problem! :D
VICTORY!

I still regret not buying a new tank (Scratch less glass) when I started and using crushed coral substrate.

Also, I have had numerous incidences that have ended up with spilling water on the floor sometimes many gallons >_<

Which Ultimately led to my decision to discontinue this tank

I bought a 24g Aquapod (Link in my sig) that I love and have that tank set up in my living room.

The plan is to eventually tear down the 50g and only have my 24g in the living room.

I'm in no rush however, I'm thinking sometime over the next 6 months I'll make the transition.

So I am no longer re-stocking or enhancing the 50g in any way. I'm just letting it grow out and be "as is" until I decide to tear it down.

Here's a pic of it before I moved some rock to the 24g:
100_1597.jpg

I'll get up a new pic of it now tomorrow when the lights come on again 8-)

:O
Woah...a lot happened in that short amount of time!
Glad to hear you're still at it, I'll check out your aquapod now ^_^

haha, I was just looking at this and was like "dang! my tank looked soooo much diff back then in February!"....

Since then my 24g Aquapod didn't do so well so I ended up tearing it down and put everything back into my 50g. Now all I have is this tank and am actually HIGHLY considering upgrading to a bigger tank. Mainly because the buttload of scratches on the glass in this tank, the fact that I moved out of that room and now my roomate lives with it, lol, and that I want to get rid of the overflow box and have my new tank drilled.

Anyways here is a NEW updated FTS! :D
100_2177.jpg

looks good! yeah, scratches are an eye sore.. i want to punch myself in the throat everytime i look at mine especially knowing the fact that i put them there with my mag float :\

Update on timeframes that changed since the end of last post! =P

24g Aquapod Set up and corals added:
ulta-albums-my-aquarium-day-1-picture2235-new-additions-attached-24g-aquapod-no-longer-have.jpg

New 75g and stand/breakfast bar. 50g Sump underneath. Pic: Aug 30, 2012:
ulta-albums-my-aquarium-day-1-picture2236-new-75g-and-stand-breakfast-bar-50g-sump-underneath.jpg

Corals added to new 75g and stand/breakfast bar. 50g Sump underneath. Pic: Aug 30, 2012:
ulta-albums-my-aquarium-day-1-picture2237-corals-added-new-75g-and-stand-breakfast-bar-50g-sump-underneath.jpg

75g and stand/breakfast bar. Dec 2, 2012:
ulta-albums-my-aquarium-day-1-picture2240-dec-2-2012.jpg

More details will be added l8ter ;)

Back