My own water

Slimkasey

Reefing newb
So I want to make my own water, had enough trying to figure out a dilution with another product.

What do I need? and any preferred products or equipment?
Please remember I'm a Newbie

Thank you for this community!

You want to use these to things:
RODI Water, which is water that you see in the cooler bottles. Tap water is no good, although there is one or two people here that beg to differ. You can get filters that give you RODI water, they are about 150 bucks.
And salt. Instant Ocean is what you want. They have a product called Reef Crystals, or you can just go with their regular. Its just reef crystals have all the additives and calcium.
The salt looks like this:
Aquarium_Systems_Instant_Ocean.jpg

(I didnt quiet understand the question, but hope this helps)

All you actually need to mix it is a bucket, a heater and a powerhead. You'll also need a refractometer to test the salinity.

Go for a refractometer or a Hydrometer, preferably refractometer.
It looks like a telescope, that is what you read your salinity with. You want to be in the Specific Gravity (Salinity) of 1.026
Hydrometer-vs-Refractometer.jpg

And there are many other pieces of equipment but i think this about covers the mixing your saltwater.
And yes Tiesto is the best there is!! :D

EDIT: Ninj'd :disappoin :p

I use a small pump to mix the water. When I'm ready to change the water I'll put a hose on the pump to take the water out of my tank, then I'll use that same pump to put the new saltwater into the tank.

If your going to your LFS (Local Fish Store) Watch out for their advice, not all are legitimate, some give advice so they can make a quick buck, so if your unsure about something dont buy it, there is always next time!

Also, when you make your own water, it's a good idea to let it mix for 24 hours before you add it to your tank. If you measure the salinity right away, it's going to be different than if it has been mixing for a while. So test the salinity (using your refractometer or hydrometer) after it's been mixing for a while, and add more salt or fresh water to adjust as needed.

In general, for most salts, it's 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. You will still have to test the salinity when you are done mixing it to make sure it's in the correct range.

Also, instant ocean salt isnt the only salt brand out. There are many other brands out there that work just as well, if not better than Instant ocean. Just look for one that the trace elements for reefs.

Coral reef critters require lots of things to survive -- strontium, molybdenum, iodine, magnesium, etc. The vast majority of these things are already found in salt mixes in the proper amounts. If salts are formulated for reefs, you can read the packaging and see that they contain a lot more elements than just salt.

Read the instructions with the salt you puchase. It will give you an amount per gallon, sometimes cups, sometimes a weight. The salt needs to mix with the water, most people use a small powerhead or pump for this. Then you also need to get the temperature close to you tank, with a heater. Let the salt mix up for at least two hours, in an open container to gas off as well with the air. Its best to add the salt slowly the first time you make a batch, this way you can add the salt and bring it up to the level you desire, like, for example, 1.025. Let the water mix overnight, and you shoudld be good to go. Make sure you use a good device to measure your salinity, a hydrometer is not always accurate, you should use refractometer, and calibrate it as well. I hope I was clear and unbias...

All the info that has been passed on to me today has been Awesome!

If this kind of knowledge keeps getting passed on to me, I just might be able to be a contributing member, rather than a taker.

Slim

Back