My power went out!!

BL1

My tank has dropped about 5 degrees already to 75, how low can the temp get before I need to be really concerned?

I think as long as it is going slowly they would be ok for several hours.

When fish are shipped their temps go up and down and so does their PH and ammonia but as long as you acclimate them back slowly they survive. I would assume its the same.

Is it very cold in NC? Maybe wrapping it in a thick blanket would help reserve some of the heat?

It's not too cold right now, I've got a blanket wrapped around it already.

Apparently a tornado touched down about 2-3 blocks away from my house so I'm pretty sure my powers going to be out for a while :grumble:

Yeah that sucks I am sure they will be ok just make sure when it does come back on the heater doesn't kick into over drive and raise it up to fast.

I had the opposite problem in my freshwater shrimp tank I went to hand feed them one day and it was boiling hot like 85 and they like it around 70! I have no idea how long it was that hot either but I just turned off the light and put a desk fan to blow on it and let it go down slowly and they all survived.

You don't have a generator?

If he had a generator do you think he'd be posting...Ahh my power went out...He'd be posting...Hey look I bought a generator.:D

Well, if it makes you feel any better BL1, last year my power went out for quite awhile. My temp dropped to 67. Luckily I didn't lose a thing.

You live where those tornadoes went through...i have a buddy who just dealt with it,,pretty scary stuff he said...
anyway ,i think your tank will be ok

Last edited:
You don't have a generator?
Nope no generator, never worried about having a tornado here so I never really thought I'd need one.
If he had a generator do you think he'd be posting...Ahh my power went out...He'd be posting...Hey look I bought a generator.:D

Well, if it makes you feel any better BL1, last year my power went out for quite awhile. My temp dropped to 67. Luckily I didn't lose a thing.

Thanks PRC, hopefully they'll be able to get the power back on before it gets that low.

You live where those tornadoes went through...i have a buddy who just dealt with it,,pretty scary stuff he said...
anyway ,i think your tank will be ok

Yea I live real close, the neighborhood right next to mine lost a bunch of houses and an elementary school. I didn't think it was that scary when it was going on, I ran outside in the middle of it to pull my car into the garage. I didn't even find out till an hour after it ended that we had a tornado.

Maybe borrows someones generator?? I dont know what your neighbors are like though!! ;)
My buddy next door has five generators. hahaha

Maybe borrows someones generator??

Yeah, because his neighbors certainly wouldn't want to use their own generator when they don't have power. I'm sure they'll just leave it in the garage collecting dust. No reason whatsoever to pull it out.:D

What planet are you people from?:D

People up north here in canada carry plenty of spares for their camps out in the woods!! :D
But i was just checking!! :p

I was thinking about buying an adapter for my car that would let me plug stuff into the lighter just in case of emergencies... Maybe run something like that for a few hours to get the temp back up and let it sit for a bit and then repeat if it started to cool off too much. Would waste some gas running the car, but would get you some power.

Where are you in NC? Are you out of Lejeune?
I'm in Fayetteville, stationed at fort bragg.

YOu have one of those computer back up battery things?
Nah I don't, I don't think those things last very long though, do they?
I was thinking about buying an adapter for my car that would let me plug stuff into the lighter just in case of emergencies... Maybe run something like that for a few hours to get the temp back up and let it sit for a bit and then repeat if it started to cool off too much. Would waste some gas running the car, but would get you some power.

I used to have one of those things, I don't think they could handle the power draw from my tank though (I could be wrong).

Back