My Refugium

sagent3000

Reefing newb
okay i am ALMOST finished builing my refugium but i have two SMALL leaks both in the corners. can i go ahead and fill it and just hope the sand keeps the water out or should i make sure its sealed tightly?

are you building this refugium out of an pre built tank? are the leaks on the outside of the tank or is one baffle leaking into another chamber a little? if it's just the baffles leaking water into other sections for the fuge i would not worry about it. if the tank itself is leaking i would take the time and fix it. it might be best to cut away the old silicone and re apply.

the leaks

okay i am making it out of a prebuilt tank. the leak is from the middle section to the return area. if i leave it and just fill it would the sand go through into the return area? or will i be fine

how much water is leaking? does the hope seem big enough for sand to get through? it's really personal choice here. i would fill it with sand and water and set the return pump just to circulate the water and see if it does leak sand. if it doesn't it should be a problem.

okay now my DIY sump / refuigum is up :bounce::^::bowdown:
here is the question:

i put some of the sand from my tank in there but i did not want to take to much out. if i go to the LFS jand buy some sand can i just dump it in the refugium?

Well you should have a pretty deep sand in your fuge so might be best to buy new sand for it. If you buy live sand, just put it in the fuge directly, dont rinse it.

okay now my DIY sump / refuigum is up :bounce::^::bowdown:
here is the question:

i put some of the sand from my tank in there but i did not want to take to much out. if i go to the LFS jand buy some sand can i just dump it in the refugium?

I would shut off the pump before you do and let the sand settle a little bit.

refug.JPG

this is what my refuge looks like. what should i put in the open space? i was thinking about some carbon or some kind of mechanical filtration. what do you guys think?

if you have the space most people put their skimmer there and heater and anything else you might want to get out of the display tank.

Back