my salt water adventure!!!!!!

twisted

Reefing newb
hey reefers! it took a bit to get the site working for me but i finally made it....ive had sicklet tanks for years and finally got a reef tank started! ive wanted one for so long! i am about a month and a half in and the tank is doing wonderfully!(pics coming) my boss has an incredible setup and gave me some nice stuff to start with....i am down to 0 on my nitrates and the tank is balanced...in it are some xenia, flame scallop, some rare polyps,a bubble tip) a lawnmower fish(sorry i forgot its real name) a true percula, worm goby, blue damsel, and a turbo snail and nazurus snails. some nice live rock and a great start of coraline algae...all have been added a few at a time into my 60 gal bowfront lit by some t-5s....anyways, thats what i have and cant wait till i add a little more when the time comes....thanks for stoppin!

this is my first salt tank after years of sicklets...

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,423
welcome, buy lots of rock. 2 to 3 lbs per gallon. try find rock's with unique fitures such as hole's and such. also think of what you might be adding in the future so you can set your rock accordingly..

hey there, welcome to the site,

hey i was wondering, in that picture above, it looks like you have some red crud growing on the sandy bottom, do you know what that is for sure? i have the same stuff, and it seems to be light sensitive, cause in the morning when the lights come on, its almost all gone, and then by the end of the day it looks to be thicker and more wide spread..

any idea how to get rid of it?

Welcome aboard.Were happy to have you join us.

Project,that looks like diatoms.Their the first type of algae that usually shows up.Not much you can do about em,except wait em out.

hey there, welcome to the site,

hey i was wondering, in that picture above, it looks like you have some red crud growing on the sandy bottom, do you know what that is for sure? i have the same stuff, and it seems to be light sensitive, cause in the morning when the lights come on, its almost all gone, and then by the end of the day it looks to be thicker and more wide spread..

any idea how to get rid of it?
that stuff just come with having a new tank from what ive read...when the lights are out it swirls through the water and grabs hold of something when they are on....i just brush and filter and when i do my water changes i brush and follow it with my suction hose...

welcome, buy lots of rock. 2 to 3 lbs per gallon. try find rock's with unique fitures such as hole's and such. also think of what you might be adding in the future so you can set your rock accordingly..
most definitly plan on about 30 more pounds of live rock...my store has some real nice holey pieces that i plan to pick up on wed. its got a nice start on the coraline also..i have a pic of the finished product in my head and it should come out real nice.....i design pools and ponds and do rock work and such for a living and am pretty good with the "head pics"...lol...thanks for stopping by!

hello and wecome to our wonderful forum. Im glad you got into the saltwater hobby. I would suggest possibly looking for another home for the bta, t5 might be ok for it i its high in the tank (there are no hight spots so far) and it should be a really be in a tank that has been setup for closer to a year. Flame scallops tend to be pretty difficult too. I am not trying to jump on you here in your introduction thread so please dont take it that way but you joined a forum to share and to get advice and I just want to make sure you are setup with a tank that is not going to cause any major problems for you. Dont want you do get a bad taste in your mouth right off the bat. Again welcome!

hello and wecome to our wonderful forum. Im glad you got into the saltwater hobby. I would suggest possibly looking for another home for the bta, t5 might be ok for it i its high in the tank (there are no hight spots so far) and it should be a really be in a tank that has been setup for closer to a year. Flame scallops tend to be pretty difficult too. I am not trying to jump on you here in your introduction thread so please dont take it that way but you joined a forum to share and to get advice and I just want to make sure you are setup with a tank that is not going to cause any major problems for you. Dont want you do get a bad taste in your mouth right off the bat. Again welcome!
thanks for the tip!....the bubble tip and scallop were freebies and more for keeping my wife happy...so im kinda expecting them to possibly depart....but, maybe ill get lucky....

Back