My sand is alive!

Brian_G

overly obsessed
Well. My sand is getting algae all over it. What kind of invert can I add to stir the sand and eat the algae?
I have sone snails but they are staying on the rock an glass

Nassarius snails and conchs do a great job. Sand sifting gobys work to, but they tend to move a lot of sand and all over.

Like how many for my 75? I want to get some more glass cleaning crew. I think they called them astrias? I don't know. I only have 4. They are working hard but they need reinforcement. I have 10 ceriths I think now. But they can only work so hard and they are the ones staying on the rock.

Just add 5 or 6 more,give a week or so and see how they do.Then if their still not keeping up,add some more.

I got a Goby for the sand, and he never stops! Like a little bulldozer. I also have like 20 small hermit crabs, they seem to keep up on the algae.

I get algae all over my sand by the end of the day. Then at night my nassarius snails come out and it is all gone by morning.

My cerith snails work great for stirring up the sand. They actually seem to spend the majority of their time under the sand and only suface once a week or so. They kind a travel in packs as well, not sure if that's a charactaristic, but that's what mine do.

I was looking online and saw places I could het them much cheaper but are they reliable and parasite free? I hope people just don't go harvest them out of the wild.

i'm looking for more CUC as well, but my both my LFS's give me cernith when i ask for nassarious...

so, now i'm considering ordering online...

I ordered from reefcleaners.org extremely good prices. Had maybe 5 out of 20 snails not make it but the temps got unusually cold when they got delivered. Dropped down to mid 40's overnight when it should have still been in the mid 70's. So not too bad. If I order anything from them again, I will wait till spring just to give the snails a chance to make it.

well it would be one thing if i were getting what i wanted, but i'm not, and apparently its me cause its not just the one store.. so... i think i'll have to start taking pictures of what i want with me...

that site the shipping was pretty cheap, you didnt need to have them overnighted. So it was just 7 bucks I think, but still cheaper than 4 for 10 buck at the LFS

yea, but even they dont have the nasarius..

my understanding is that the nasarius snails live in the sand, and burrow around in it.. cleaning it and turning it as they go..

Back