My setup what do you think?

nufiefish

Newfiefish
New to this so be gentle lol this is my set up so far what do you think items too add or remove.

55gallon 4'x20"x13" tank
Penguin 330 filter
Penguin 350 filter
EHEIM Classic 2213 canister filter
Marineland powerhead 550
Marineland heater 40-70 USGAL
2 18" Marine-Glo T8 lights

planing on adding a protein skimmer and another powerhead in the near future.

Do you have live rock? This setup will work and has work for many people. You will have to spend more time cleaning filters the people with sumps/fuges and live rock. A skimmer is differentially a must have in my opion. The down side of canister and hob filters is most people get lazy. The dont clean them at least once a week or once every two weeks so they become nitrate factories. The other thing you didnt mention is this for a reef tank or is it going to be a fish only? If it a fish only then trates wont be as big a issue. If it is for a reef and you have one to two pounds of live rock then you will probably want to remove the wheels out of the bio wheels just use them for carbon and flow, the canister you would want to remove the ceramic rings and just use it for carbon and flow. The bio filtering would be in the live rock so that part of the filters wouldnt be needed. Oh and those lights would only be sufficient for a fish only setup way under powered for a reef.

Do you have live rock? This setup will work and has work for many people. You will have to spend more time cleaning filters the people with sumps/fuges and live rock. A skimmer is differentially a must have in my opion. The down side of canister and hob filters is most people get lazy. The dont clean them at least once a week or once every two weeks so they become nitrate factories. The other thing you didnt mention is this for a reef tank or is it going to be a fish only? If it a fish only then trates wont be as big a issue. If it is for a reef and you have one to two pounds of live rock then you will probably want to remove the wheels out of the bio wheels just use them for carbon and flow, the canister you would want to remove the ceramic rings and just use it for carbon and flow. The bio filtering would be in the live rock so that part of the filters wouldnt be needed. Oh and those lights would only be sufficient for a fish only setup way under powered for a reef.

Thanks ,i plan on having a reef tank i don't have live rock yet but going to in the very near future and will take all your advise into consideration i am a fairly handy so will probably build a sump in the future and will buy a protein skimmer ,about the lights i am going to bring the back to my LFS and get better ones.

Best advice I ever received (from this forum *L*) "Buy the biggest and the best equipment that you can afford at the time. Otherwise, you'll spend even more money upgrading later on than if you just bought the more expensive things at the start."

Ted's got you covered.
But I'd plan on more flow.The more flow you have,the less detritus can settle in and on the rock and sand.

IMO 55 gallon is an excellent size for the beginner. For some reasons new folks to SW like to start with small tanks that are less forgiving with mistakes and oversight. 55 is excellent amount of water volume and is a good place to start. LR will be a big need for your tank. IMO LR, skimmer and some PH`s is all you need for excellent filtration.

IMO 55 gallon is an excellent size for the beginner. For some reasons new folks to SW like to start with small tanks that are less forgiving with mistakes and oversight. 55 is excellent amount of water volume and is a good place to start. LR will be a big need for your tank. IMO LR, skimmer and some PH`s is all you need for excellent filtration.

that's what my LFS guy told me,Thanks

Tis true,tis true:D

For your LR (Live Rock), or any other equipment, search Craigslist, someone may be getting out of the hobby and selling the stuff for cheap!

If you can't find any LR from someone local just buy a lot of base rock and then some LR. The LR will seed the base rock and it'll save you A LOT of $$$$!! Plus, you can find more interesting shapes and sizes, in my opinion, in base rock.

For your LR (Live Rock), or any other equipment, search Craigslist, someone may be getting out of the hobby and selling the stuff for cheap!

If you can't find any LR from someone local just buy a lot of base rock and then some LR. The LR will seed the base rock and it'll save you A LOT of $$$$!! Plus, you can find more interesting shapes and sizes, in my opinion, in base rock.

Thanks a lot i never knew that you can grow your own,i am in the process of looking for a protein skimmer online now:bounce:

Most people on Living Reefs (myself included) will recommend a modified Berlin system. I'm also a big believer in refugiums where you can lay down a DSB and toss some macro algae in there. Both of these will cover your nitrates and phosphates and it's natural. No need to clean or do maintenance. Just cut some macro algae out and toss it in the trash once a month.

Just beware of getting bit by the upgrade bug.It hurts.:lol:Just happen to me.I had a 75 to start,and thought i'd be happy.Then you see a humu trigger or a chocolate tang that you must have:D......time to upgrade.Its fun as heck though...Good luck,just beware in a couple years.......

Back