My tang has long stringy poop

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
Just noticed my yellow tang pooping while he was devouring a seaweed clip and it was white and got to like 2 full inches before it broke.

Did a little bit of googling and I've heard that this comes from A.) Internal Parasites and B.) Indegestion?

I didn't know fish really got indegestion. But it doesn't seem like a parasite thing, I would think he would be kind of skinny and sunken in at the stomach if that was the problem but this tang's gut is fat and happy.

I also did QT him before it went in the tank. I dunno if copper really kills internal parasites though. He's been in the tank for a few months too, I might've just never noticed or it may have really just started.

Any ideas?

I've always heard it was a parasite indication too,just keep an eye on him...i do believe copper kills internal parasites.IDK, i never used copper before.

My clown had white stringy poop...I qt'd him...he died....but I don't think it was due to a parasite. I think I just stressed him, and he didn't take the medication well. I should have left him alone. It happened after I added the 2nd clownfish. I think he had "indigestion" as you put it, from stress. shortly after, the 2nd clown had white poop. I left him alone. That was a month ago, and he's fine. If he's eating and acting normal, leave him to fight it on his own IF It is a parasite. Just IMHO.

When it`s white and stringey then it`s usuall internal parasites. They make a fish food that you can feed your fish that treats for internal parasites. Cant remember if it was at petsmart or petco but one of them had it.

Think a tang would eat it though? He pretty much exclusively eats algae sheets, doesn't really bother when I drop frozen in there.

This may be a problem also,tangs need more than just algae sheets IMO.....try some formula 2,and i feed mine spinach,zucchini,brussel sprouts,broccoli and sheets...plus ,they need some meat too

Well yeah I drop frozen in there for everything, the tang just doesn't really go for it. I make a mix out of PE mysis, krill, pieces of algae sheets, and clams and shrimp from the seafood deli, maybe I'll add some veggies to that mix though.

It's a plain old yellow tang. I'll keep an eye on him and QT if it gets worse or doesn't get any better.

Kinda sucks when you go through all the trouble off QTing and still have problems :(

Back