My tanks cycle

crazymman

Reefing newb
My tanks been running for a week now and my ammonia isn't really spikeing. It's sitting between .5 and 1 today. Nitrites are about .25 and nitrates are about 10. The ph is about 8.2 and the alkalinity is off the chart. Does this make since?

Ok. Cool. I'll just keep testing and see what happens. Should I buy one of those liquid test kits cause I think these strips suck lol

You may find that the tank has already cycled when you get away from those strips.
The strips are notorious for showing ammonia when it should actually show none.

Im noticing some green algae starting to grow as well. Like i said in an earlier post everything im using aside from the water is from a tank that was running for at least a year. Sand rock and all. So does that mean that i might not have a big cycle?

Oh boy....not good to use tap in this hobby. You can usually get rodi from your lfs, or distilled water from walmart. The algae could be a result from using tap.

And you're correct, if the rocks and sand were from an established tank, you will have little to no cycle. There will be some die off, but your cycle should go faster.

I'd really suggest not using tap...you'll find it's going to cause more problems in the long run. You're in for a lot of water changes using rodi or distilled.

Second the don't use tap water. It's not death or anything but you should start using clean water from now on. I started up my tank again with everything from another tank. I also used about 30 gal of their water. I didn't have a bit of a cycle. I did have a lot of nitrates though. Get those liquid test kits. You may find out like Yote said you are already done with your cycle.

Yeah, I was using tap water in my tank and everything seemed to be pretty kosher but I did notice that after I added about 5+ gallons of tap water (I have well water) I had another brown diatom outbreak, after they were starting to clear up. My guess is that adding the tap water gave nutrients (probably silicates) that the diatoms thrived on. So I started going to the Local water store buying a 5gal jug for $12 and the refills on it are only $1.25. I use that for water changes now.

And as far as Alkalinity goes, I'm under the impression that it is the ability of your water to react to a ph buffer so being high is not really a bad thing. (I have the same high Alk in my month old tank ;)

Mayb some vets can confirm this for you but this is what I've gathered from my experience & research on the matter.

I suspect your high alk is just your test strips. You really need to get a real set of readings on your tank. Depending on your budget you can also get an RO/DI unit for around 135-150 bucks. For a 55gal tank your getting to the point that a filter is worth it for the amount of water you will be using.

Yea i was just thinkling about that. Might as well buy the filter. I was Cleaning sand off of my rocks and my skimmer went crazy and sucked out about 5 gallons of water. So im gonna go to either my lfs or walmart and get some distilled tomorrow to replace it.

When I first started I made the mistake of using tap water and my alkalinity was off the charts using a drip tester. I think I stopped even trying to measure after about 30dKH. So I suspect your high alkalinity is due to tap water. If you have a fish store near you I'd take a water sample in to them and get it tested.

Back