mysterious... thingy.

I think if you were going to try and scrape/chip anything off, it would be easier to get the zoas off and glue them on another rock.

As I said before, this is a big rock, with two very large zoa colonies on it. Also, the rock is in no way flat-- it's a ton of protruding branches, so getting the zoas off would be difficult and time consuming.

Fortunately, I think I caught the hydroids within the first few days of appearing. They're only on two or three of the protrusions, so I think I'm going to get a sharp chisel on "payday" and just break off those protrusions. The zoas will grow over the damaged rock fairly quickly, I think.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.

I had them and put in some peppermint shrimp in the tank and walla they disappeared almost overnight. no work on my part.

My peppermint shrimp has no interest in aiptasia or hydroids, just likes to hang out in the back corner upside down on a pump.

I had them and put in some peppermint shrimp in the tank and walla they disappeared almost overnight. no work on my part.

Are you sure that they were hydroids, not just little nems? Because they usually only eat the little ones, and the little ones look a lot colonial hydroids. Ive never heard of anything that eats the hydroids

Whoa... i got these in my tank too :o.. i thought they were just feather dusters bunched up. I'll try to use aiptasia x on them and im getting a peppermint shrimp tomorrow anyways.

Mine are yellow and brown...another pest to add to my list :(

I hate to tell you but peppermint shrimp dont eat aiptasia, but i would definitely try the aiptasia X

It is hit or miss with them. I have had peppermints eat apstasia and ones that wouldnt touch it. That is why it is good to get atleast 3. It increases the chance that you have one that eats it. I dont think the pepermints will touch the colonial hydroids.

I hate to tell you but peppermint shrimp dont eat aiptasia, but i would definitely try the aiptasia X
Mine did. I killed the 2 large ones with aiptasiaX and the 2 or3 smaller were gone several days later... okay maybe a week or two after the peppermints were in there.

Anybody know how far the can retract in the tubes? Tried aiptasia x last night. Some are not showing up this morning and others are back out. Ill try some boiling water next.

I think you are better off with persistent applications of aiptasia X, but be sure not to go overboard on a given day. Just a little bit, everyday.

Back