Need A New Fish

nudy6969

RUSTYS BROWN DOUGHNUT
is there a fish i can get for my 12g aquapod that my clownfish wont kill. it alredy killed a cardinal so im scared to put new fish in there.

i was thinking of a warse , dragonnet or a damsel

A dragonet would likely starve in a tank that small and since they are such timid fish, would probably get bullied by the clown.

A damsel would be able to hold its own against the clown, and might even turn the tables on it. Maybe a yellow tail damsel or yellow bellied damsel?

Wrasses usually get along with everyone, although some can be aggressive. I think a wrasse would be a good choice too.

A basslet/gramma or psuedochromis/dottyback are colorful and might be okay also.

Normally, a firefish or two would be good, but like dragonets, they are pretty easily bullied.

What kind of clownfish?

IMO,a psuedochromis are somewhat aggressive and could possibly hold there own against a clown in a small system.A fridmani or neon dottyback(psuedochromis) may work but my concern is there just isn't much room for territory in a small tank,and most fish,if not all are territorial in some way.

firefish are the little biotches of the ocean, they will let him bully them all day.

Id go with a magenta dottyback, as Biff said.

Depending on how long its been in there try and pair it with another clown!

In a 12 gallon tank you are fully stocked with a single clown, thats why he is acting aggressively toward other fish.

What year and model is your Porsche? When my grandpa got his 2004 911 Turbo I became a Porsche addict for life, unfortunately he sold it because he could no longer get comfortably in and out of the car (his back). But I am counting the days until I can afford one of my own, but as I am still in college I may be saving my pennies for quite some time.

Last edited:
Not necessarily, some clowns will act aggressively no matter what size tank they're in. They are just aggressive fish by nature. If you pick carefully, you could put a second fish in a tank that size. Although you are right that everyone might be happier if left with just the clown.

you could try a black and gold chromis, those are nice and can hold there own against a clown since they are part of the damsel family, and they are nice and small

Lol, holding their own against a clown is neither good for the clown or good for the other fish. Clowns are not aggressive by nature, the maroon clown is aggressive by nature, but that is the only one I can think of. Clowns can be aggressive when they are confronted by their own in a limited environment, but it is unusual for a single clown to be hostile in any way. The hostility that the clown is showing tells me that he can't possibly have another fish in his small area.

Get a lionfish, it will barely fit but the clown won't mess with it. :)

Just kidding,

You can add they following: A clown that is either a lot bigger or a lot smaller so they will pair up(hopefully)

or I have these fish all together in a 34 gallon- Lawnmower Blenny- Sixline Wrasse- 2 Bicintus Clowns- Blue-Green Reef chromis

The only aggression I have had was the girl keeping the other fish from the boy clown but that was a couple months ago.

I used to have a 6-line in my 30g tank. He went postal and tried to kill my clown. The 6-line is now in a 5g tank by himself.

I would NOT recommend a 6-line in anything smaller than a 55g tank. If you put some effort into researching the 6-line, they have a reputation for becoming VERY aggressive in small tanks. I didn't know that when I bought mine. I asked people online and in this forum and everyone told me the 6-line was a very peaceful fish. It wasn't until AFTER mine became extremely aggressive that I started digging and found out that they can become so aggressive in smaller tanks.

The ONLY way I'll ever release my 6-line from his 5g prison would be when I get my 90g tank set up and have some larger and more aggressive fish that will bitch slap him if he gets aggressive.

Putting a 6-line in a small tank is a ticking time bomb in my experience. They might be peaceful initially, but given time and comfort--they can turn into Charles Manson.

maybe you just have a pyscho one, mines has been in the tank for 5 months with the other tank mates and no problems at all.

Last edited:
I'm just reporting my personal experiences with the 6-line.

Do some searches on google or RC. There are lots of people who have the same experiences I've had with 6-lines in small tanks.

I'm not saying you should NEVER buy a 6-line. I'm saying MINE went nuts and when I started researching WHY, I found a lot of reports from other people who had 6-lines in small tanks and they had the same experiences as me. 6-lines have the POTENTIAL for being aggressive in small tanks if there are no other fish big enough or aggressive enough to slap the 6-line around a bit and keep it in line.

If you're having success with a 6-line in a small tank--call me jealous. Wish mine was "normal". But I just cannot, in good conscience, recommend a 6-line to anyone with a small tank. Take that advice for what it's worth and make your own decisions. :twocents: Do some research. Don't just take my word for it that they can be evil. Don't take the word of just one person who says they are perfectly behaved angels. Do the research first. I took the word of other reefers without doing any research first and I ended up with trouble.

In a 12 gallon tank you are fully stocked with a single clown, thats why he is acting aggressively toward other fish.

What year and model is your Porsche? When my grandpa got his 2004 911 Turbo I became a Porsche addict for life, unfortunately he sold it because he could no longer get comfortably in and out of the car (his back). But I am counting the days until I can afford one of my own, but as I am still in college I may be saving my pennies for quite some time.

2007 cayenne s, black with black interior

I'm just reporting my personal experiences with the 6-line.

Do some searches on google or RC. There are lots of people who have the same experiences I've had with 6-lines in small tanks.

I'm not saying you should NEVER buy a 6-line. I'm saying MINE went nuts and when I started researching WHY, I found a lot of reports from other people who had 6-lines in small tanks and they had the same experiences as me. 6-lines have the POTENTIAL for being aggressive in small tanks if there are no other fish big enough or aggressive enough to slap the 6-line around a bit and keep it in line.

If you're having success with a 6-line in a small tank--call me jealous. Wish mine was "normal". But I just cannot, in good conscience, recommend a 6-line to anyone with a small tank. Take that advice for what it's worth and make your own decisions. :twocents: Do some research. Don't just take my word for it that they can be evil. Don't take the word of just one person who says they are perfectly behaved angels. Do the research first. I took the word of other reefers without doing any research first and I ended up with trouble.

I have my girl clown to keep it in line, she's the biggest fish in the tank so that probably helps. I have heard that they can be aggressive also but so are clowns in some cases. I would follow RcPilot's advice by doing some research of your own on whatever fish you are thinking about getting.

I look at it this way. All fish have their own personality. There is always some that fall out of their normal behavior. So you really never know what your getting. All you can do is hope for the best. Good luck on choosing your new fish. Let us all know what you decide with pic of course.

Back in the days when I kept a lot of fish I use to rearrange the tank just be fore (as in minutes before) adding a new fish if the tank housed any fish that were bossy or territorial. At the least well feed the other fish before adding a new fish as they will not all be feeling hungary and therefore overly territorial of the whole tank. Very few serious coral growers will allow a clown in their coral tanks (or did I already say that) as they even pester corals. They mouth them, pull at them and even stupidly try to use them as if they were an anemone. This obvously does not encourage coral health or growth.

Back