Need advice

reebs

Reefing newb
I currently have a 55gallon tank but recently was given for free a 100 gallon tank with stand. My concern is that the 100 gallon has alot of scratches in it. Should I stay with my 55 gallon that has no scratches or upgrade to the 100 gallon with scratches. The 100 gallon stand will allow me to build a sump and have tons of extra room underneith.

What is everyone's opinion.

I would use the bigger one who cares about scratches unless its cracked or really prevents you from viewing inside I dont see the big deal you can have a lot more stuff in it!

If you dont want it I will take it!! LOL

I think it depends on how scratched up it is. Do the scratches draw your attention away from what's inside? Also do you have time to care for a larger tank? Larger tanks require a bit more maintenance and also more corals to fill up.

I do have the time for the maintenance end and I will eventually fill it up. My concern is that once I transfer everything over the scratches might be too distracting. But I do like the idea of having enough room to finally build a sump, etc...

Hmm,to me its almost a no brainer.....i mean ,is the 100 scratched on both viewing sides or is one better than the other...paint the side with the most scratches and enjoy bigger fish with the bigger tank...55's can be very hard to stock and scape....
All you really need are some different mushrooms and rics ,having all those corals are overrated anyway:mrgreen:

I agree with everyone else...how bad are the scratches? If they're minor and/or low to the base, then you won't even notice them, but if they're deep and all over, then it may be an issue later on.

There is alot lower in the tank from the old substrate but there is some in the mid to top on both sides so I will just have to pick a side. I do agree having the bigger tank will allow me to have some bigger fish and alot more room for aquascaping. My next problem before switching would be getting enough rock to make it look good.

There is alot lower in the tank from the old substrate but there is some in the mid to top on both sides so I will just have to pick a side. I do agree having the bigger tank will allow me to have some bigger fish and alot more room for aquascaping. My next problem before switching would be getting enough rock to make it look good.
Base rock is your best bet....very cheap and turns into live in no time.....Almost all LFS's have it cheap...mine is 1.49 lb

If I had it to do over again I would have gone bigger than 55 to start with, already looking to upgrade eventually. Also look at Marco rocks as base rock and seed with a few pieces of live. Hope it works out! :Cheers:

i have been thinking about getting the Marco rocks. I shouldnt have to worry about seeding because I am putting the entire 55gallon tank into the one so I should have enough live rock to seed with. There should be a risk in add this type of rock because it is dead? It should cause a spike, should it?

Is your current tank SW or FW (your sig sais FW) because I was under the impression that certain rock from FW will not work in a SW tank due to the leaching of harmful elements into the water. :twocents:

My 125 has a few scratches, somewhat in the middle. I think I'm the only one who knows they are there. Everyone else I show the tank to is always drawn to the fish and corals, they don't care about scratches. I'd say go with the bigger tank!

I was planning on filling the tank a quarter of the way and see how bad the scratchs look under the lights. Maybe I will make my decision after that.

I now have both. A 55gallon fresh water and a 55gallon saltwater. Which hopefully will be converted to the 100 gallon. :)

If the scratches are big, as soon as you get algae growing on the glass, they will fill with algae and it will be impossible to clean them out. Your tank will have brown stripes on the glass.

If the scratches are small, then it's easy to ignore them.

Back