Need advise on first protein skimmer and LED lights...

Potrice

Reefing newb
I have finally decided to get an aquarium 72x24x24 (180g I believe?). I'm taking my time to look on kijiji and CL for a used one. If it doesn't come with a stand and a canopy, I can build them myself. Being very patient at the moment.

My goal: around 230-250 lbs of LR (is fiji LR ok?). I prefer size over quantity (not alot of fish, but big ones). I'm even thinking of adding a snowflake moray eel later on (still not 100% decided on this yet). The tank will be a FOWLR.

My next step is to start looking for a protein skimmer... Again, I'm not in a hurry and taking my time to look around. I'm currently debating on a Reef Octopus or a SWC Xtreme 230. Concerning the skimmers, the size charts are in bioloads. With my current goals, I suppose I would be aiming for a medium bioload? The tank will be 180g. I don't know what size my sump will be (does the sump count towards the skimmer/gallon ratings?). What protein skimmer size would be recommended for a 180g?

And then....the lights: Oh boy what a headache for a newbie like me...where to start? Should I start looking for LEDs straight away since they pay for themselves in the long run with less electricity and no need to replace bulbs? Or overkill for my FOWLR? I've been looking reviews online on the chinese dimmable LED's found on ebay and people said they weren't having any problems with them. I think I'm gonna need 3 for a 6ft long aquarium...

Like these: 28BLUE 27WHITE Dimmable D120W LED Aquarium Light US Warranty Free Shipping | eBay

Sorry for asking so many question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a pleasant day everyone! :D

Patrick

Standard t8 aquarium fixtures are fine for fish only, LEDs would just be a waste on a tank that doesn't have any photosynthetic animals.

Your plan for live rock sounds fine

You should include your sump when determining skimmer size, and go on the heavily stocked side of recommendations. Most fish only tanks have messy, Hungary predators and you likely won't be able to keep a CUC with eels and puffers and such

Standard t8 aquarium fixtures are fine for fish only, LEDs would just be a waste on a tank that doesn't have any photosynthetic animals.

Your plan for live rock sounds fine

You should include your sump when determining skimmer size, and go on the heavily stocked side of recommendations. Most fish only tanks have messy, Hungary predators and you likely won't be able to keep a CUC with eels and puffers and such

Thanks for your help. I'm not 100% decided on what kind of fish I want to keep. I like tangs. Could I keep a yellow tang, a blue hippo and a big lionfish for example? Do tangs do well with Lionfish and eels? Still not decided on what fish to keep, just trying to figure out beforehand.

I'm not interested (at least for now) in corals. Trying to keep the cost as low as possible for a couple of years. Again, thanks for all the information you provided.

Patrick

I agree your plan for live rock sounds fine, I use Fiji too. But it might be a bit expensive to spend so much money on LR. Dry rock is much cheaper. At my LFS they sell LR for about 6-7 dollars per pound. But dry rock can go as little as maybe 2 or 3 dollars per pound. Just something to think about. But if price is not an issue, I would say go ahead!

Those tangs will not mix with lionfish; those are generally reserved for a species tank. You dont need a skimmer unless ypu have corals, so that'll cut costs some. The eel could also cause problems, they do best in a species or predator tank.

Tangs are grazers, so have plenty of rock ready. In a 7 foot tank, you could do those two for sure (depending on the individuals, though) but both of those are pretty hardy. Stay away from the Atlantic Blues though.

Why no tangs and lionfish? I think they would be fine. Lionfish aren't generally agressive but will devour fish smaller than they are. I'd think tangs would be a good choice?

Back